Starting out hunting - location advise?

ecnal

Greenie
Jan 31, 2010
Hey everyone. I'm just starting out hunting for meteorites/whatever else I find - only problem is I live in Plymouth, MA - right on the ocean.

The climate around here is very wet, which I guess isn't great for meteorites. Just wondering what the chances are of finding something of value on the beach/nearby?

Any advice would be great too! I'm getting my first metal detector in a few weeks - for now it's just my eyes and a magnet stick :)

OP
OP
E

ecnal

Greenie
Jan 31, 2010
I know I'm not going to get rich - that's fine. It's just a hobby :)

I've found countless things on the beach that are indeed old and interesting on the surface. Just wondering what could be buried.

OP
OP
E

ecnal

Greenie
Jan 31, 2010
And even if not meteorites, there's a bunch of stuff on beaches aswell, especially somewhere with so much history.

I'm using neodymium magnets from harddrives - my goal is to have a stick with a flat board on the end, maybe 3" by 8" or so, covered with magnets. Much larger surface area.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-Net ecnal.

Read around the forum. A lot of gold and silver jewelry as well as clad coinage are found on the beaches. Also, A LOT of garbage is found on the beaches. I'm quite sure you'll find more of these items than meteorites but you just never know..... :wink:

OP
OP
E

ecnal

Greenie
Jan 31, 2010
Hm. I've changed my design;

A walking stick with magnets epoxied to the bottom and around the lower edge. Epoxy should hold well enough.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spooky said:
Just wondering what the chances are of finding something of value

::)

You're not going to get rich.

I know that's what the TV show said, but it's not really like that.

It is a lot of hard work, and it is frustrating.

If you are not into it for the appreciation and the beauty of what you DO find or the enjoyment of the hunt, you will be sadly let down. I hate to see that happen to people.

Great advice, To me its all about the hunt. , The harder the hunt , the better I like it. :icon_pirat:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread