djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A friend found this rock, and another one about 4 times it's size. There were also a bunch of smaller rocks around of similar composition. I looked for the "ripples" but didn't see any. These rocks are EXTREMELY heavy. I thought maybe a Meteorite but am not sure. What do you all think?? This is the smaller of the 2 big ones. I'd guess it weighs 40lbs or more. The light brown color around the bottom is dirt from where it was halfway buried. I can crop the full sized image if you wanna see up close.

dsc07712.jpg

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This one I'm stumped on :dontknow: It's worth tracking the thread to see the other opinions If it is your buddy is rich .

wtgwayne

Oct 30, 2009
djui5,

Here is a photo of a meteorite that i found here in Texas i send a small sample to a geoglist in San Antonio and he said that it was a crondite it was like a chunk of iron it was magnetized and had what they call thumb prints and it had nickle in it.
Check and see if a magnet will stick to it.
I can't be sure what you have but if you have a place to send them a sample they can tell you.

Wayne

Attachments

• meteorite1.jpg
    meteorite1.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 705
OP
OP
djui5

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I could take it to ASU, they have some kinda lab for rocks there. I was just curious if I'd get a "maybe" or a "hell no" from the forum :thumbsup:

OP
OP
djui5

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anyone else have an opinion?

PAULWYO

Apr 18, 2009
Rock Springs , WY
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD 2200D
It looks good to me but I would take it to ASU also I have found some small ones here in Wy. and had them looked at they are real. Have them looked at by an expert. :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put a magnet on it. If it sticks go to the next step. If it doesn't, you got a door stop.

Buy a nickel allergy test kit. Costs less than $20.

Expose a clean fresh spot on a edge or surface. Run the test. Takes all of 30 seconds. If you get a nickel reaction you got a meteorite. You don't get a nickel reaction, you don't.

OP
OP
djui5

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks George, I'll try that. It is slightly magnetic and has Iron in it. I tried breaking off a chunk but it didn't go so well and flew all over the place. Might try again today.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Meteorites can sell well. One verified (ASU) and documented from a certain site or meteor can sell for more. Learned this on Meteorite Men on the Science channel. Check it out.

Ed D.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread