unwa-571-6g.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 670

2bits

Nov 19, 2009
Detector(s) used
One to many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm you're huckleberry, Johnny Ringo! Nah! I'm new at this myself. Sure looks like the real thing. I found a small one and a geologist friend verified it, and it was very similiar to yours. Did you do the magnet test?
Doc

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well compared to the verified ones, yours sure looks like the real thing!!
I agree with Doc though... do the magnet test to see if it sticks, if you haven't already.

Bran <><

OP
OP
Johnny Ringo Silver

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe
I guess I am not aware of the magnet test. I stuck a magnet to it and it sticks, but if its actually an Iron meteorite wouldn't it stick?
I have no idea.lol

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I believe if it sticks it's likely a meteorite. :)

Bran <><

OP
OP
Johnny Ringo Silver

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
I washed it off and took a few more pics.

Attachments

• img_2638.jpg
    img_2638.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 624
  • img_2639.jpg
    img_2639.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 608
OP
OP
Johnny Ringo Silver

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Few more pics

Attachments

• img_2641.jpg
    img_2641.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 607
  • img_2642.jpg
    img_2642.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 618

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first two pic's seem a little sketchy (in my opinion) in regards to it being a meteorite... but those last two?! Yeah, it looks like one. It'll likely take an expert to really tell the difference I suppose.

Bran <><

frank

Sep 4, 2004
N.W. Arizona
Detector(s) used
ML 3500,Whites GMT,Gold Bug I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Johnny Ringo, put your guns away and grab a........
file and file a "window" into an edge of it , this will expose the inside for you to view, see if it seems to have specks of shiny nickle inside mixed with other minerals. Then after you have removed the exterior with the filing acton from a small area get a piece of unglazed tile or the underside of your toilet tank cover and rub the exposed area back and forth several times to do a streak test, you should NOT see color, if you see brown, black, red etc. it is not a meteorite, just a lowly Earth rock or piece of iron slag deteriorating.

LIKE THESE
GBCUTANDWHOLE002.jpg

GBCUTANDWHOLE007.jpg

Now between the "look", magnet test and the info you have here......
You just learned how to identify a common meteorite in laymans terms, NOT ALL Meteorites, there are different forms which are much less common.
Also "Generally" speaking you should see some BLACK on the exterior, that is the "fusion crust" that forms as its entering the atmosphere and it burns from the heat generated in doing so. Depending on the conditions of which it has been exposed to laying on or in the earths ground and the amount of time it has been exposed to the conditions.
The NEXT and FINAL TEST is to send all or a piece in to the U of Arizona to be tested for the ULTIMATE TEST.

OP
OP
Johnny Ringo Silver

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Another question. When I do this rub test, do I do it against the piece of meteorite that I expose with a file or against any part of it? I ask this because if its actually an iron meteorite and has a rust tone to it then wouldnt it leave a rusty mark when rubbing it on the tile?

frank

Sep 4, 2004
N.W. Arizona
Detector(s) used
ML 3500,Whites GMT,Gold Bug I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I said above use the "filed or area you exposed" to test. If you just rub the exterior yes you will at first get the color of the exposed coated material untill you file thru that coating and reach the interior which then contacts the file.
And much better than a refridgerator or commonly found magnet will be to buy a rare earth magnet with greater "pull" power for testing.
I have seen many people trying to show me the effects of a magnet on a specimen be it ordinary "rock or mineral" or meteorite and the effect is a dramatic increase when I would pull out of my pocket the rare earth magnet and test after they did. Many times a cheap magnet will not even show you any effect.
Hope all this helped you and Hapy Huntn Kiddo.

Also let us know what you come up with for results.

OP
OP
Johnny Ringo Silver

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Well, when I scraped it on the back of a tile, it only left small traces of metal dust or shavings.
There were no actual marks or lines left on the tile. The magnet that I have will pick this thing up off the table also. I'm just leery about sending this off to anyone I guess. 8)

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Johnny Ringo Silver said:
Well, when I scraped it on the back of a tile, it only left small traces of metal dust or shavings.
There were no actual marks or lines left on the tile. The magnet that I have will pick this thing up off the table also. I'm just leery about sending this off to anyone I guess. 8)
Until a meteorite is confirmed, it has no value.

Only after a meteorite has been confirmed can a value be estimated.

Meteorite testing no longer destroys a large portion of the original mass.

If the material on your stone is rust and was found in AZ, it's likely been on the earth for centuries.

The one thing I would expect to find on a RECENT (fell within the last 400-500 years) meteorite that I don't see on your stone is a fusion crust: a thin 1-2mm thick glassy black or brown outer crust caused by melting the metal from the stone. But material from the Canyon Diablo fall (aka Meteorite Crater) is known for having the rusted appearance in your stone.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I don't know how far you are from Parkville but I found a pretty cool rock and gem shop there in the old shopping district. They had several meteorites for sale and they seemed pretty knowledgable. If you don't want to send it off you might try showing it to them and see what they think. I'll try to find the name of the place for you.

HH Charlie

Found it:

H.M.S. Beagle
180 English Landing Drive
Parkville, MO 64152
816-587-9998

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread