66 KB · Views: 299

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Don't think so. Lots of iron ore up there right? Maybe anthracite? I don't know but looks too layered. Could be....

frank

Sep 4, 2004
N.W. Arizona
Detector(s) used
ML 3500,Whites GMT,Gold Bug I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Judging by LOOKS alone .........NO METEORITE.......Mother Earth Rock.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Hope your friend still has it. I can't say with certainty, but it does have elements that suggest a meteorite. Has a streak test been done? Magnetic is a good test, but still just a test. Iron, iron slag, magnetite, lodestone, Josephenite and other high-iron content rocks are magnetic. Sometimes even basalt!

It looks to me like it has regmaglymphs and droplets on the surface. Only by having the rock tested will it be confirmed or proven. Your friend needs to contact someone like the Cascadia Meteorite Laboratory for confirmation. The scientific equipment which is used to prove or disprove meteorites. A low-tech devise might also help prove or disprove whether it is a meteorite: a steel file. Place the stone in a vise, and use a file to create a small exposed surface. Iron slag will have a uniform interior. Meteorites are known for Widmanstatten diagrams, caused by melted iron during passage through the Earth's atmosphere. Only meteorites are known to have Widmanstatten diagrams, and they are distinctive enough to reference multiple pieces of meteorites which break up while far above the earth.

The testing process may take several months, but no longer destroys much of the stone in the process. Cascadia would do the tests for free, I believe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread