OP
OP
aazzxx

aazzxx

Tenderfoot
Sep 28, 2004
walvis bay namibia
Hey,

I am talking to myself now, I managed to put a picture in. Its a Gibeon, 20kg, anybody like to buy it?

I can get more, but transport costs would be a problem.

aazzxx in Af-ri-ca :-)

wayne

Mar 22, 2003
granger,wa.
aazzxx in africa - i wouldn't know what a gibeon was if ti hit me in the head - is there another name for this rock from space? is it considered metalic? i have seen rocks that look similar to your picture but nothing clued me in that it might be a meteorite. wayne

OP
OP
aazzxx

aazzxx

Tenderfoot
Sep 28, 2004
walvis bay namibia
Hi Wayne,

yes it is metallic and anybody who knows about meteorites knows that they come from southern namibia from an area aroud the settlement of Gibeon.

The other form northern namibia is the Hobart, the biggets being 40 tons and under the protection of the monuments council.

what is your field of interest? I am looking for like minded people and operators of magentometers to field an expedition on some 300 (500??) undived wrecks.
I have a suitable boot and I am in the area.

regards winfried

wayne

Mar 22, 2003
granger,wa.
aazzxx - thanks for the comeback . i am not an expert at meteorite names,but i look for them. i keep hoping to find the silver - nickel jobs so that after i've bragged about finding one i can sell it for a kings ransom. i have seen meteorites like the one that you posted but i wasn't aware that it had a special name. i'm too old to go adventuring for lost ships. fifty years or so ago i would have jumped at the chance to do it. now days i watch it being done on the tv. good luck on your endeavor. wayne

JAVIER

Oct 1, 2004
I LIVE IN MONTREAL CANADA AND I FOUND SOME ROCKS THAT LOOK EXACTLY LIKE YOURS, I HAVE FOUND A FEW, AND WHATS MAKE IS REALLY
FASCINATING IS THAT IN THE SAME SPOT I HAVE FOUND SHELLS MANY ENCRUSTED I EVEN GOT SOME COMPLIT SHELLS,
DOES THIS MEANS THAT I ALSO HAVE SOME METERITES IN MY HANDS, BECAUSE MY ROCKS HAVE THE SAME HOLES AND THERE HEAVY..

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Javier, first check to see if a magnet is attracted to the rock. If it is, that is good. Next take off your toilet tank lid and rub the rock on the underside (rough side). If it leaves no streak, that is good. If it passes those tests, you have to have it tested for iron with nickel composition. Send it to a lab to have it tested, which about the only way to know for sure.

OP
OP
aazzxx

aazzxx

Tenderfoot
Sep 28, 2004
walvis bay namibia
Hi Sorry for the late reply, but I live on a boat.

Use a file on it, if it is iron, and there is zero chance that man has mede it and depositet where you found it, then it is a meteorite.

It cannot be a gibeon, that is one found only in Namibiam near a place called Gibeon.

regards

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread