Think you found a meteorite?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    us
    Meteorite Nut

    Mar 2009
    Florida
    Tesoro Compadre
    29
    1 times

    Think you found a meteorite?

    If you think you have found a meteorite, then you should have it examined at the nearest university that has a good geology or space sciences department. I get a lot of people emailing me with photos of the strange rocks they have found and 95% of the time, I tell them to have it examined at the university. The other 5% of the time, I break the bad news to them that their specimen is obviously not a meteorite.

    It is almost impossible to identify a possible meteorite by photos alone or by a written description. There are many terrestrial materials that can mimic the appearance of a meteorite, so only an expert or a definitive series of tests in a lab can identify a candidate.

    Here is a good place to start before you take your rock/iron to the university -

    http://www.meteorites.wustl.edu/mete...teorwrongs.htm

    If your specimen resembles any of these photos, then it's not a meteorite.

    Best regards and happy huntings,

    MikeG


    Galactic Stone & Ironworks Meteorites - http://www.galactic-stone.com

  2. #2
    us
    Nov 2006
    brenham, kansas
    27

    Re: Think you found a meteorite?

    Hey Mike, one of your customers came in the museum the other day, he says "hi". best wishes, don

    Kansas Meteorite Museum & Nature Center
    Haviland, Kansas 67059
    http://www.kansasmeteorite.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sun.JPG 
Views:	421 
Size:	139.3 KB 
ID:	428909  

  3. #3
    us
    Meteorite Nut

    Mar 2009
    Florida
    Tesoro Compadre
    29
    1 times

    Re: Think you found a meteorite?

    Hi Don!

    It's good to see you here.

    Who was the customer? I'm curious!

    I love that photo - the sunflower Brenham!

    Best regards,

    MikeG
    Galactic Stone & Ironworks Meteorites - http://www.galactic-stone.com

  4. #4
    us
    Nov 2006
    brenham, kansas
    27

    Re: Think you found a meteorite?

    i think it was kevin from oregon? sometimes the guest book is hard to read. so far, it has been a hot wet summer in ks, the sunflowers are happy. hoping it dries up a bit, i can do without the humidity and mosquitoes. (insert smilie getting drilled by large bug)

  5. #5
    us
    Meteorite Nut

    Mar 2009
    Florida
    Tesoro Compadre
    29
    1 times

    Re: Think you found a meteorite?

    Hi Don,

    Let's see, I know a Kevin B. from Ohio, and another Kevin B. who I met on the Cloudy Nights message board. I'm not sure what state the latter is from.

    The thing is, when dealing mostly in micromounts, I make a ton of small sales and it's hard to remember everyone.

    I know what you mean about bugs and skeeters - it's getting brutal down here. We have a canal behind the house and it's a breeding ground.

    Best regards,

    MikeG

    PS - are you on Facebook yet?


    Galactic Stone & Ironworks Meteorites - http://www.galactic-stone.com

 

 

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

i think i found a meteorite

Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0