Think you found a meteorite?

Galactic-Stone

Mar 12, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
If you think you have found a meteorite, then you should have it examined at the nearest university that has a good geology or space sciences department. I get a lot of people emailing me with photos of the strange rocks they have found and 95% of the time, I tell them to have it examined at the university. The other 5% of the time, I break the bad news to them that their specimen is obviously not a meteorite.

It is almost impossible to identify a possible meteorite by photos alone or by a written description. There are many terrestrial materials that can mimic the appearance of a meteorite, so only an expert or a definitive series of tests in a lab can identify a candidate.

Here is a good place to start before you take your rock/iron to the university -

http://www.meteorites.wustl.edu/meteorwrongs/meteorwrongs.htm

If your specimen resembles any of these photos, then it's not a meteorite.

Best regards and happy huntings,

MikeG

distimpson

Nov 9, 2006
brenham, kansas
Hey Mike, one of your customers came in the museum the other day, he says "hi". best wishes, don

Kansas Meteorite Museum & Nature Center
Haviland, Kansas 67059
http://www.kansasmeteorite.com

Attachments

• sun.JPG
    sun.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 467
OP
OP
Galactic-Stone

Galactic-Stone

Mar 12, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Hi Don!

It's good to see you here. :)

Who was the customer? I'm curious! :laughing7:

I love that photo - the sunflower Brenham!

Best regards,

MikeG

distimpson

Nov 9, 2006
brenham, kansas
i think it was kevin from oregon? sometimes the guest book is hard to read. so far, it has been a hot wet summer in ks, the sunflowers are happy. hoping it dries up a bit, i can do without the humidity and mosquitoes. (insert smilie getting drilled by large bug)

OP
OP
Galactic-Stone

Galactic-Stone

Mar 12, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Hi Don,

Let's see, I know a Kevin B. from Ohio, and another Kevin B. who I met on the Cloudy Nights message board. I'm not sure what state the latter is from.

The thing is, when dealing mostly in micromounts, I make a ton of small sales and it's hard to remember everyone.

I know what you mean about bugs and skeeters - it's getting brutal down here. We have a canal behind the house and it's a breeding ground.

Best regards,

MikeG

PS - are you on Facebook yet?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread