Could this be a Meteorite???

flintlock

Aug 6, 2007
I'm a relic hunter and last weekend I was working an early campsite. I eyeballed this black rock on the surface and didn't think anything of it until I passed MXT coil over the rock and it nulled my threshold! I mean the sound went (quite) I've never had this happen before so I picked it up and noticed right off the bat it was unusually heavy for it's size. Went home to analyze it closer and put a magnet to it. The rock will magnetize! Wow! I have not weighed it yet but I do see iron deposits and on one side and parallel lines streaking across rock. Could this be a meteorite from what you can see???

Attachments

• P1000499.JPG
    P1000499.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 664
  • P1000500.JPG
    P1000500.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 658
OP
OP
flintlock

flintlock

Aug 6, 2007
I weighed this and it's over 100grams, scale went into error. Will have to find a larger scale. Will keep you posted.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope it is lets see what some of the experts say. :thumbsup:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I say YES! Google up Robert Haag (the Meateorite Man). Send him a pick. He lives in AZ but travels the world. Also, they often fall in bunches. Go back and look for more! TTC

jrandy

Jan 13, 2010
San Angelo TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett GPT 1350, Predator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good lookin rock. If it is the real deal you have to cut a small part off and see what it looks loke inside. If it has any small holes and is not completly solid it's a metiorwrong. nickel test kit can be found on ebay for about 20.00. Good luck

frank

Sep 4, 2004
N.W. Arizona
Detector(s) used
ML 3500,Whites GMT,Gold Bug I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say NO, I have a bucket full of them.
The KEY to the situation was you stated the detector threshold "NULLED OUT" for a second, that tells you its either a hot or cold "rock".
I detect them all the time when yer threshold goes away and then comes back its "null an void" like Richard Pryor used to say.
Looks like a piece of magnetite type rock we have tons of it here in AZ.

GoldBack

Aug 19, 2010
frank said:
I say NO, I have a bucket full of them.
The KEY to the situation was you stated the detector threshold "NULLED OUT" for a second, that tells you its either a hot or cold "rock".
I detect them all the time when yer threshold goes away and then comes back its "null an void" like Richard Pryor used to say.
Looks like a piece of magnetite type rock we have tons of it here in AZ.

What is a "hot" or "cold" rock?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread