A friend found this rock and looks like a meteorite ?

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• Oct 1, 001.JPG
    Oct 1, 001.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 961
  • Oct 1, 002.JPG
    Oct 1, 002.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 942
  • Oct 1, 003.JPG
    Oct 1, 003.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 1,319
  • DSCF0204.JPG
    DSCF0204.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 996
  • DSCF0205.JPG
    DSCF0205.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 1,018
  • DSCF0203.JPG
    DSCF0203.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 1,095

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nope. An extraterrestrial rock that size would be a rare find, indeed! Test for nickle. The test is very easily done. Buy the book Field Guide to Meteors and Meteorites and follow the instructions. O.Richard Norton. TTC

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Wish I could agree with TerryC. I'm not so certain.

If the stone has iron in it, test with a magnet first. If magnetic, then next strike it with a hammer. If you get a ringing sound like you've just struck a bell, it might be.

Broken portion does not look metallic, but might have broken off while just above the earth a mile or two, and not have enough air time to form regmaglympts. Or, might have been broken after it hit the earth. In either case, another important test would be to use a carbon-steel file, and file a small cm-squared window into the rock, and examine under a hand lens. Might still be something esoteric, like a carbonaceous chondrite, even if it didn't have any metal per se.

Another suggestion? Try using a stiff nylon brush, as for kitchen scrubbing or car scrubbing (not steel wool, please). See if the surface near the cone, after vigorous brushing, doesn't produce something resembling a fusion crust. If you don't know what a fusion crust is, check for it on-line.

All of these are just suggestions. Even if all proven correct (i.e. magnetic, rings like a bell, regmaglympts near cone, other colored interior after filing, different colored interior than exterior, fusion crust) it still needs to be examined by a meteoritical scientist, and they are pretty hard to get to see.

Keep in mind that even the "experts" are sometimes wrong. Identification of meteorites is no longer a cut-and-dried process.

Good Luck!

distimpson

Nov 9, 2006
brenham, kansas
TerryC said:
Nope. An extraterrestrial rock that size would be a rare find, indeed! Test for nickle. The test is very easily done. Buy the book Field Guide to Meteors and Meteorites and follow the instructions. O.Richard Norton. TTC

have to agree, nickel test is what we rely on, but be sure to run positive and negative controls (just in case it is not mentioned, i havent read that part of nortons book). shouldn't have any trouble getting someone to look but if so, send a piece about the size of a quarter to the address on the web page, we do preliminary testing for free. best wishes, don

http://www.kansasmeteorite.com

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
stimpson said:
TerryC said:

have to agree, nickel test is what we rely on, but be sure to run positive and negative controls (just in case it is not mentioned, i havent read that part of nortons book). shouldn't have any trouble getting someone to look but if so, send a piece about the size of a quarter to the address on the web page, we do preliminary testing for free. best wishes, don

http://www.kansasmeteorite.com
Stimpson.... Brenham,KS? Wow! You're sitting on one of the more famous strewn fields. For those readers who are not aware, the iron/nickel test is very important as that combo of minerals is virtually nonexistent in earth rocks. A test for Widmanstaten structure would (if positive) be nice! Keep us posted, Roger. TTC

OP
OP
Roger Mn.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I talked to my friend and he will get it tested for nickel and go from there.
Thanks everyone for the replies and when he finds out I'll let you know.
roger

M

mankind

Looks like volcanic ejecta. Needs to be checked though !

chkn

Apr 12, 2010
That is really an unusual rock. Maybe this belongs under the signs and symbols!!!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Roger, go out and buy some small meteorites. Test them for nickle. Do this to gain practical experience. Put the nickle test kit together and you will be READY for the next rock you find in the field! Happy hunting! TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread