Question to Don Lupe (Finally took pics of possiblle "Space Rock")

skinnyoda

Dec 10, 2004
California
Question to Don Lupe (Finally took pics of possiblle "Space Rock")

Well I finally took some pics of a friends rock that he thinks its a meteorite,he thinks its a really old Pallasite. I recall him telling me me thinks he found it southwest of Topeka Kansas. Its really heavy for it size, which is probably 12x4x7, it attracts to a magnet as well. The weird thing is that there looks like a fossilized piece of vegetation on it; maybe it was in a swamps or bay many many years ago. Hopefully some one can point me in the right direction. Please check out pics

Regards Yoda 8)

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,008
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 989
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 993
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 991
OP
OP
skinnyoda

skinnyoda

Dec 10, 2004
California
Re: Question to Don Lupe (Finally took pics of possiblle "Space Rock")

Hey Thanks for replying, just exactly is the magnet test ?

Best regards

Yoda

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

put a magnit to it if it sticks its an iron based rock...

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004

Thats magnetite or more likely hematite....iron ore. If there is a fossil on it, that definately rules it out as an iron meteorite.

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin

Of course if there's a fossil on it then it wouldn't be iron ore either. I think that it's possible to have an iron based metiorite fall to earth, rust away sitting on some vegitation and have the vegitation leave an imprint in the rust after only a few years under the right circumstances. This is by no means what I am saying it is, just a point. I in fact have no clue what it is for sure! ;D

D

don Lupe

Hey yoda, Don Lupe here; been away for a while forgot all about this group. Yeah great pics. you did good, I agree with #1st post. and everyone. most likely this is Iron ore, I've seen a lot of this. has no evidence of meteoritic material which is outstanding in most meteorites, like paning gold, gold is really gold, in the pan it looks, acts, exactly like gold and there is no question about it..but only someone who has the experience, has done it, would know this. However. now is the time to cut the rock, in half or sliced across, it could be a very old rusted, deteiorating, specimen. There's an African Hoba, specimen about that is old, flakey, you can tear it apart with your fingers. Before you go through with cuting you could try busting it by following the seams, a cut meteorite has grain pattern unlike any earth rock, also nickel + iron is what make an iron meteorite. Here's trivia. your post from CA. Steinbeck wrote Fact-Fiction in East of Eden he writes about a meteorite discovered while diging a well, people that know say he was writing about a true event down by Greenfield off the Salinas river. there's a ranch on the bend. blah-blah. thanks for work. most appreciated. I'm sniffing around East of Douglas, there are leads, and one 9lb iron beauty in town. Was given to a school teacher, my apraisel was 15,000+.

ghost surf

Dec 11, 2004
Re: Question to Don Lupe (Finally took pics of possible "Space Rock")

Magnetite and Hematite are both magnetic and leave a streak color either Grey,blackish or red color.If a rock leaves a color it is probably not a meteorite.
But if it does because of the outer crusting it could be..Cut the rock for a small opening and test it for nickle or have a lab test it,that would be the only way to tell.
Some meteorites have small round rocks in them called chondrules and this would be a good sign also for a meteorite.But remember their are many different kinds of meteorites and that would be just one symptom to look for.**********************************
I myself have a blackish rock that is with good weight, magnetic and does not leave a color streak no matter what I do, so I will have to have it tested by a lab, because I don't know how to do the other stuff.I don't like the chemicals they use to test them.They are very dangerous.
Good Luck! :D

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I grew up around Topeka, that doesn't look like anything I've seen there. I don't think we have any Magnetite and Hematite around here.

The last photo seems to show layers, like its sedimentary. Hope not.

Isn't there an alergy test for nickel that is safe and easy to use?

Ronin9868

Jan 2, 2007
South Eastern VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab SE, 12x15 and the 10x12 Butterfly Excel, 12.5 Excel,18.5 Excel

Hey Yoda, You rock looks much like the one I'm trying to figure out. It's posted on this forum. Mine is 21 lbs and about 1/2 the size of a bowlingball. I had ordered a Nickel test to determine whether or not it has Nickel. It does so now it needs to go to a lab. I would suggest the Nickle test also. Keep us posted.

Ronin

Attachments

• met1.jpg
    met1.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 511
  • met1.jpg
    met1.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 515

Ronin9868

Jan 2, 2007
South Eastern VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab SE, 12x15 and the 10x12 Butterfly Excel, 12.5 Excel,18.5 Excel

One more thing. Did you grind down a small area to see the surface? That is where you would test the Nickel. Also the scatch test from that point.

OP
OP
skinnyoda

skinnyoda

Dec 10, 2004
California

Hey People

Its me Skinnyoda. Hope all is well with each and every one of you. My question is where can I get my rock checked out to see if its a meteorite? I live in Orange County California, and thanks Don for repling to my questions. I posted pictures many months ago, (there still here if anyone else wants to put there 2 cents in as well I would appreciate it).

Regards
Yoda

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread