Strange Rock

Lloyd0161

Greenie
Apr 6, 2010
I am not claiming that my rock find is a meteorite. I found this with my Minelab Musketeer over the weekend in a local park. It rings out nicely and I thought I had another quarter. In fact I get a strong tone response even with the discriminate turned to full. The rock was about 6 inches in the earth. I pulled it out of the hole thinking that the coin I was after was below it. Turns out the rock was my coin. I initially thought about cracking it open to see what was inside then decided to wait and see if someone had any suggestions. The rock is fairly smooth all over and about the size of an outstretched hand.

Attachments

• Strange Rock 007.JPG
    Strange Rock 007.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 451
  • Strange Rock 009.JPG
    Strange Rock 009.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 448
OP
OP
L

Lloyd0161

Greenie
Apr 6, 2010
I cracked the rock open to see what was inside and this is what I find: The inside is a dark gray color with a granular texture. There appears to be very small flecks of metal. A refrigerator magnet barely clings to some spots while not in others (as seen in two of the photo's). There is a distinct thin crust which has some black on one side but not on the other at all. I have scrubbed at this and it has not changed. I did some more testing with the Minelab Musketeer on the two pieces and still have the same results. With the discriminate turned all the way up I get a clear positive signal.

Attachments

• Strange Rock Cracked 001.JPG
    Strange Rock Cracked 001.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 438
  • Strange Rock Cracked 002.JPG
    Strange Rock Cracked 002.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 429
  • Strange Rock Cracked 003.JPG
    Strange Rock Cracked 003.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 438
M

mankind

I find those in Washington state , Just a heavy mineralized rock. Man do they give a big signal !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread