About rocks that look like a meteorite.

D

Diane L.

Hello,I am a new-b here and ?have been Metal detecting for meteorites in the central Wisconsin area,I have found at least 15 different types of rocks that are magnetic,Iron of some type some make black or brownish red streaks and I know they are not meteoric because of that,Yesterday, I went down by a really low lake bed and found a rock that looks just like a pallisite type meteorite like that of Robert Haags "Collection of meteorites ?book 2004' The picture on page 30 on the top.It has more whiter spots then yellowish colour on one side because it is the side that was sitting on the ground in the water.It does not make a streak color and is magnetic and it looks like a crust on it.
I also have a smaller rock that is darkish black,magnetic and does not streak and has a varnish shinny coating on it.It is about the size of a nickel found in a newly cut ditch of a new road.. The one I first mentioned is almost the 3/4 the size of a computer mouse. What do you think?I am trying to get pictures of these rocks but they don't turn out. ??? ?;D
I have done some deep historical searching for the area I live in and I also have sited meteorite falls,so I know they have to be out there.?
By the way,I am huge reader of Eastern /Western Magazine and Lost Treasure Mag,I go to treasure hunts but never actually included myself,I just watch and learn from other experts in the field.

I have been doing metal detecting for many years? and since I was young and I will hunt for free if someone needs to find a 1. property lines/ lost stuff 2.Need trees parts checked before sawing, and 3.* Will do crime search for local police if they need help: meaning{when the area needs searching for thrown away to hide, items used at crime only *...(# 3.) is the only activity I have not done yet! and I will give references of my service when asked for by prospective people needing a search done.

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
If they pass all the tests that you can do yourself, you should have them tested in a lab. Just do a search on the internet and you will find some labs that will test them for you. University's can do this as well and they usually won't charge you for it, but it may take more time for them to get it done.

OP
OP
D

Diane L.

Thank you , am going to find out sometime soon...I wrote to Mark Bostick a well known Meteorite collector who also knows "The Meteorite Man" Mr. Robert Haag...The greatest meteorite hunter of all time still! These are two men that know a lot about Meteorites and will help...Please take a look at both their internet sites because they have lots of good information/pictures on different meteorites.
It is really nice to have a net site that meteorite hunters can talk about finds when talking of meteorites...I was on one before and they hardly ever responed, so I came here "Thank You very much!"And you have area for just about anyones interest with metal detecting. Cool!!!! ;D :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread