Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like won of the tar balls that have been floating out in the Gulf of Mexico,since the BP explosion. :laughing7:

OP
OP
CMDiamonddawg

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stimpson said:
it does not look like a meteorite, maybe some sort of silicate, serpentine or jadite? cant tell from picture. looks translucent, thin polished slices might be nice. thanks for posting, don http://www.kansasmeteorite.com
Thanks for the link Don added more pics .. seems like one side turned white and crusty from high heat :dontknow: Mike

distimpson

Nov 9, 2006
brenham, kansas
OK, thought i missed those extra pictures the first time. man, i don't know, the white porous material almost looks like a pumice. but just guessing out loud, looks like a keeper, unusual. best wishes, don

U

umrgolf

Youre a jack of all trades.. too bad i dont have any martian buddies to assist ::) How do u know its a new addition ??? Did it land in your dawg-pen? :laughing7:

OP
OP
CMDiamonddawg

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stimpson said:
OK, thought i missed those extra pictures the first time. man, i don't know, the white porous material almost looks like a pumice. but just guessing out loud, looks like a keeper, unusual. best wishes, don
Thanks Don , I hope keeper means possible meteor !!! :o Normally the fusion crust is darker than the inside and the dark part looks like a silicate . Note that the heat penetrated over an inch to two inches on the broken piece.The unbroken part should look the same if it was cross sectioned. Nothing in this area even comes close to this , rocks are mostly sandstone and quartz. Not sure what to do :icon_scratch: Would you send a sample or would you wait for more comments ??? Thanks , Mike
umrgolf2010 said:
Youre a jack of all trades.. too bad i dont have any martian buddies to assist ::) How do u know its a new addition ??? Did it land in your dawg-pen? :laughing7:
:D Hey Jeff ,Any of your Navy buds know about these ??? If it turns out to be a Tektite .... fragments have been found off-shore New Jersey, and microtektites are found from the oceans off New Jersey, you may eat those words :tongue3: I should have wacked it with a brush hog years ago when I mowed this section of my property "large field " ...it's been year since I stopped , so that is something of a mystery :icon_scratch: :D my dawg pen escaped destruction , Thanks Guardian :angel9:

U

umrgolf

you know its all in good fun :laughing9: ur one of the only people on tnet who you can joke with that doesnt get butt-hurt and actually jokes back :laughing9: :laughing9: sorry, no rockologists in the navy.. maybe jack black can help. he loves to rock :D

distimpson

Nov 9, 2006
brenham, kansas
Hi Mike, I dont think it is a meteorite, just an interesting rock. we have buckets of interesting stuff and some chunkers from our desert searching days, just couldn't leave them behind, thats what i meant by keeper. If you want me to do a nickel test, send about 20gram (size of a quarter) to the address on the web page, no charge. But I am very sure the result will be negative. Best wishes, don

OP
OP
CMDiamonddawg

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad Tnet is back :icon_thumleft: I did some research :read2: and asked a few locals and reached a conclusion this rock is ..... a flint nodule . A very large flint nodule . Thanks Don and everyone who had a decent comment ! :notworthy: I am always learning something new here and wishful thinking on my part , sometimes happens . Maybe someday I will find a space rock ..but not this time . Not sure what flint is worth but it has some value . Thanks again , Mike

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find Chug!!!

gilmerman

Dec 31, 2006
Central South East
I'm not trying to be a smart Alec but that black part looks like material, the ancients might have, used to make tools, arrowheads etc, Does it appear to be chipped and worked in that way? Any way its a great find.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Not a space rock, but good try. I'd tend to agree with the flint nodule someone already suggested.

First sign is the lichens on it. For reasons few understand, lichens don't seem to like meteorites.

Second sign: very few meteorites have fractures in them. Finding a big fracture, even in a big rock, usually eliminates meteorite from the mix of possibilities.

Tektites are more like glass teardrops. They aren't strictly speaking meteorites. Rather they are material ejected from a meteorite strike, which can cause rock to liquify while still in the air, and cool usually before hitting Earth. Finding tektites can help determine how far away a meteorite strike was, though.

If you watch Disney's Dinosaur, it really is a fairly good representation of just how devastating a large meteorite strike 1,000 miles away might be.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread