Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet :thumbsup:

You might want to post some clear photos of them on the "Meteorite" forum
along with a ruler for relative scale. I'm sure someone there can help you out.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
meteorite hunter said:
I JUST CAME BACK FROM ARIZONA FOUND SOME ROCKS THAT SEEM TO BE METEORITES I NEED HELP TO KNOW WHAT I FOUND THANK YOU

Do you have pictures ya can post?

Mammothman

Feb 1, 2011
Jal, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Even the rock meteorites have some magnetism to them. Are the rocks you found magnetic? If so that is a good start. The next test is to cut off a small slab and look inside. If it has iron or other metals inside you should see it.

cacher1

Mar 3, 2011
Aloha,

If you dont want to cut the rock then just file a window in an area that will not destroy the overall look, you should see nickle/iron specks. Look for fusion crust and it definitely should stick to a magnet like all get out. If all else fails lift up your toilet tank cover and scratch it with the stone, it should not leave a streak. If it does then it is a meteorwrong!
A picture would be great for us to help with identification also.

Aloha and be safe out there.

Cacher1 aka Stan

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A picture would be great.

Not all meteorites are magnetic (though 99% are).

We have a meteorite (had to have it analyzed by a university to find out), because even an "expert" said it was not. It is not magnetic, - let me
rephrase that - there is one small spot that is weakly magnetic-about a 1/2-3/4 inch area), the rest is not.

Your best bet is to have a slice taken out - send it to the University of Arizona (Center of Meteorite Studies) - you pay shipping, they test for free - if it is a meteorite, they get to put it (the information and the little slice) into their database of known meteorites.

The biggest problem with meteorites is that, especially during the last 10 years - they are finding "unknown" meteorites - ones that aren't part of a known meteorite shower.

Beth

dustcap

Apr 1, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo, Minelab Sovereign XS 2 Pro and Fisher 2 box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beth and all,

At the Roadrunner Prospector's club meeting last night (Mar 17, 2011) the guest speaker was Dr. Carlton Moore from the university department you mention. He told us that they are no longer accepting samples by mail for testing since the Meteorite Hunters program has stimulated the public so much that to send all those meteorwrongs back to the public was getting way too expensive. He did however invite folks to visit the museum on the Tempe Campus Bateman Physical Science Center, C wing, room 139 (that's by the archway over the road) Mon thru Fri 9-5 (except holidays) If you bring your 'possible meteorite' sample with you when you visit, they will check it out for free. He also invited everyone to visit the ASU Center for Meteorite Studies on-line at http://meteorites.asu.edu They have an information number set up at 480-965-3361 The open hours of operation are posted here so don't call to ask.

Hope that clears up the 'where to get it checked out' question.

Ken 'dustcap' Chichester

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ken,

That sucks. We were actually talking about that a few months back - that the Meteorite Hunters would cause too much publicity.

Sheesh. (well, they did ours, and I hope someday, they will start doing them again.)

Beth

dustcap

Apr 1, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo, Minelab Sovereign XS 2 Pro and Fisher 2 box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beth,

Looks like you got yours tested before the decision to stop mailing the samples back due to the enormous expense.

He told me the best way to check inside the stone is to sand it down with sanding paper. As soon as I got home from the meeting I put a sample of my finds in the bench vise and sanded for half an hour using my electric 'Mouse' sanding machine from Black and Decker. It put a nice shine on the high spots but did not penetrate the desert varnish. I will be back at it on Saturday. The one inch cube stone was so hot I could not hold it in my hand. Got lots of red dust but no results... so far.

Ken

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ken,

We still have the "nick" on ours from trying to cut it. And a slighting different "nick" on it from where our local university tried to cut it.
Good luck with that :laughing7:

We had ours done quite a awhile ago. First, we sent it to a well-known meteorite person. (he said it was a meteorwrong). But, the fusion crust
on our meteorwrong bothered me. (and the fact that the meteor person pronounced it a meteorwrong without testing it, but didn't mail it back, even though we sent him postage money and the meteor person specifically said that it would be returned to us - I spoke to the person on the phone before we mailed it). That was in the 90's. Around 2001, we sent it to Arizona. It is a meteor. (right). :headbang:

Beth

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread