Is this possibly a meteorite?

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was working in the backyard today and noticed this on the ground where some recent rain washed away the topsoil. I put it in my pocket thinking it was obsidian and washed it off later. I noticed it was not obsidian and took a magnet and the magnet sticks to it very good. I have not noticed iron ore looking like this before. Any thoughts are welcome. It weighs about 1/4 of an ounce according to my postal scale. That is about as accurate as I can tell of the weight for now. Thanks in advance, Tim

Attachments

• crocus 009.JPG
    crocus 009.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 457
  • crocus 010.JPG
    crocus 010.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 468
  • crocus 011.JPG
    crocus 011.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 449
  • crocus 012.JPG
    crocus 012.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 457

distimpson

Nov 9, 2006
brenham, kansas
assuming this has been scrubbed to remove dirt, it looks like some of the brenham (pallasite) nuggets we find. can't tell from a picture, a nickel test would be informative. in the case of brenham, the dark areas are oxidized iron-nickel. unless you live in a strewn field i'd guess that the odds of finding a meteorite in your backyard are one in several hundred thousand, so skeptical with hope. good stuff, thanks for posting. best wishes, don

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stimpson said:
assuming this has been scrubbed to remove dirt, it looks like some of the brenham (pallasite) nuggets we find. can't tell from a picture, a nickel test would be informative. in the case of brenham, the dark areas are oxidized iron-nickel. unless you live in a strewn field i'd guess that the odds of finding a meteorite in your backyard are one in several hundred thousand, so skeptical with hope. good stuff, thanks for posting. best wishes, don

Looked up the Brenham Pallasite nugget and yes it does kind of favor that a bit. Not too sure about this being a space rock but who knows. It is very different from anything I have ever found since I am kind of a rock hound. Wish I had a diamond saw I would take and cut it in half. Here are some more pics without the flash in the natural light I thought I would post and is shows, to me, more of the outer shiney characteristics of this piece. Thanks for your interest and hope Don!! Tim

Attachments

• rock 002.JPG
    rock 002.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 435
  • rock 003.JPG
    rock 003.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 425
  • rock 004.JPG
    rock 004.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 422

cacher1

Mar 3, 2011
Aloha,

Looks can be deceiving so if you belong to a mineral/gem club I would slice of a small piece, run it over the lapping machine and see what it looks like. You will definitely be able to know for sure once you cut a window into the rock.
Good luck!

Aloha,
Stan aka Kaimi

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread