Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
Is there any effort to find 'non-metalic' meteorites? Surely they have value but are near imposable to find unless you witness the thing hit the Earth.

Thanks Folks!

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The 3 best tools are a strewn field map, a rare earth magnet stick, and a very good set of highly experienced eyeballs. And at some point in time, i. e., experience, the eyes may rank number one in the tool kit.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Either lol

The military is the ez ?. USAF 1960-66. Most of my time was in SAC. Strategic Air Command. 98 Bomb Wing.
Meteorite interest began when about 5-6 years ago a friend bought a MD and said he was going hunting for meteorites but didn't know where to start. Because I tend to be the researcher I started with my lil bible on known mineral finds in New Mexico. I gathered information about the Gloretta Fall as it's only about 1 1/2 hours away in the Sangre De Cristo Mountains.
I was able to develop the probable strewn field and we went hunting. Because of the degree of difficulty in these mountains it seems 30% detecting and 70% struggle. The last three years the forests have been closed a lot because of fire danger so that's a bit discouraging. I've also hunted an area called Pajarito and I suspect it's part of the same fall but only one 5gm piece was found some years ago.
So far I'm all theory and practice but no finds. There has been a couple very large pieces found in the past 4 years or so in Gloretta. One guy even has a UTube showing his finds. Interesting I can look at the videos and know just where he is.
At a gem show I was surprised how expensive Gloretta meteorites sold for. A piece about the size of a nickle was priced at $400. They often contain peridot gems stones in them.
Google earth is a huge help in locating specific Lat/Long and using with a GPS to get where I want to go. Can't count on a compass though due to deposits of loadstone. Makes my compass tell stories.

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortés, Tejón, Cibola, Cutlass II, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Killer Bee's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Aside from detectors there is a good "Meteorstick" out there made of neodymium material that is on a pole you can use to hunt fields with. I think its for sale on amazon.

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is there any perticular model rare earth magnet i should get

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread