Meteorite Hunters: What equipment is best to be used to Detect "Hunt" for -

P

peterjl

Meteorite Hunters: What equipment is best to be used to Detect "Hunt" for -

Meteorites? Do you use just regular metal detectors like the detectors that you find coins etc with or do you need to use something more "High Tech"? I do not know but my guess is you need to find a good place to hunt like a farm that is about to be seeded with veg,fruit, etc.. Then you get you a four wheeler and attach a metal detector(strong magnet?) thing to it and drive slowly scanning the ground for any type of strong magnetic pull? Then if found start to dig.

Just my guess.. Any others know of a TRUE way to search for meteorites? If so let us in on it haha.

Peter

xplror

Greenie
Jul 2, 2006
BULLHEAD CITY.AZ
Detector(s) used
SEAHUNTER II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Meteorite Hunters: What equipment is best to be used to Detect "Hunt" for -

any cheap metal detector will find meteorites. i amcurrently using google eart and other sattelite photos to find meteor crators then using my gps i go to that area and look. the canyon diablo metorite in az left a field more than 15 miles away. its the cheapest at .25 cents a gram because of the 82 ton that fell about 42 tons have been found. use a new file to file some shavings for a test. they dont need very much. i send mine to the university of tueson

good luck xplror

ghost surf

Dec 11, 2004
Re: Meteorite Hunters: What equipment is best to be used to Detect "Hunt" for -

I use a Sabra 2 Tesoro Metal detector,A good earth magnet and one on a stick,Double Lens 10X 23MM magnifier to see in dept after shaving a very little off to check for sparkle looking metal or nickle,A scratch test board which you can go to Menard's and by a unpainted tile (like that you see under a toilet top) to scratch test your rock for color testing etc and The Meteorite Man... Robert A. Haag. he is the tops when checking rocks to see if they are Meteorites.You can also ask Mark Bo-stick as well! He is tops too!
There is a chemical test you can buy,but it is very dangerous to do.Meteorite Man or a Museum lab is the best way to go.
"Rocks from space" is one of the best books to read and Bob Haag's meteorite book which I have both are the the books with the information you need. ;D
Meteorite Man Say's there are meteorites on every square mile of the earth,The best place to look is in Deserts, but every day we get pelted and I have witnessed them in Wisconsin come down..Recentley they have hit Chicago,Ill..So don't get discouraged by no-non-sense people saying there not here, because they are wrong!it just takes longer to find and they do tend to disintegrate faster in colder wet climates,There is traces of them you just have to know the symptoms and have a good eye for different looking rocks.I have not found one ..I lost one that I did have, when I was young and a tech school certified it as a meteorite..I how-ever have been very close to finding one with the same symptoms, it's not far off that I will because of that.Mr. Haag was the one who told me that!A huge one was found in Kansas!
I am relentless! Don't give in or give up! ;)

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• gtr 001.jpg
    gtr 001.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 122
  • gtr 004.jpg
    gtr 004.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 109

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ill post pics later i bought three meteoRITES from steve arnold one looks like a iron nugget

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get the O Richard Norton Field giude not thr Rocks from space book. Thr Meteorite field book has the formula for testing rocks found using methylglyoxeme and vinagar. Try it. TTC

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get the O Richard Norton Field giude not thr Rocks from space book. Thr Meteorite field book has the formula for testing rocks found using methylglyoxeme and vinagar. Try it. TTC

terry that book you recommended was expsensive but very helpful thank you

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other

Is there any effort to find 'non-metalic' meteorites? Surely they have value but are near imposable to find unless you witness the thing hit the Earth.

By the way Terry, On this Memorial Day once again, I wanted to thank you and your comrades for your military service to this great country!

Over the last two centuries people like you who took up arms, or supported them here and abroad, made our way of life possible.

God Bless You.

Tom D.

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there any effort to find 'non-metalic' meteorites? Surely they have value but are near imposable to find unless you witness the thing hit the Earth.

By the way Terry, On this Memorial Day once again, I wanted to thank you and your comrades for your military service to this great country!

Over the last two centuries people like you who took up arms, or supported them here and abroad, made our way of life possible.

God Bless You.

Tom D.

Me too God bless the armed forces

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tnx, guys. I enlisted in '67. I got a girl pregnant and did what they did back then.... enlisted. When I got to San Diego, I saw the mistake I made. I will go back to a combat zone, if this country asked me.... but NOT back to Marine Corps boot camp! NOPE! Today's military is leaner, but not meaner... at least that's how I see it. Today it is an all-voluntary system. No more 1,2,3. All the 3's step forward. Congradulations, men, you just became Marines! (all the 3's rolled their eyes back). I have stories only a military person would believe! OORAH! TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

God Bless You.

Tom D.
Tom, Stony M's are actually more abundant than stone-iron or iron M's but harder to find because they don't have metal. ALL M's, I believe have some metal but stony not enough to get a beep. TTC

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tnx, guys. I enlisted in '67. I got a girl pregnant and did what they did back then.... enlisted. When I got to San Diego, I saw the mistake I made. I will go back to a combat zone, if this country asked me.... but NOT back to Marine Corps boot camp! NOPE! Today's military is leaner, but not meaner... at least that's how I see it. Today it is an all-voluntary system. No more 1,2,3. All the 3's step forward. Congradulations, men, you just became Marines! (all the 3's rolled their eyes back). I have stories only a military person would believe! OORAH! TTC

Lol terry I heard so many military stories I doubt any would surprise me God bless you

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lol terry I heard so many military stories I doubt any would surprise me God bless you
We had a fellow in the platoon from Green Bay. Bonjean. Always smiling! BIG mother! Round like an egg but not an ounce of fat. Always smiling. Drill instructors beat him bloody yet he always came up smiling. They would send drill instructors from other platoons to try and wipe the smile off his face. None could. He was told by our drills, "Keep it up, Bonjean, you're good money for us!" TTC

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had a fellow in the platoon from Green Bay. Bonjean. Always smiling! BIG mother! Round like an egg but not an ounce of fat. Always smiling. Drill instructors beat him bloody yet he always came up smiling. They would send drill instructors from other platoons to try and wipe the smile off his face. None could. He was told by our drills, "Keep it up, Bonjean, you're good money for us!" TTC

Lol sounds like some full metal jacket movie scene

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lol sounds like some full metal jacket movie scene
To be the guidon, you had to be able to whup the butt of everyone in the platoon or make them think you could. To be a squad leader, you had to whupp anybody in the squad. I was a squad leader but I am glad I was not in the squad that "the Greek" and Sousa were in. They were duking on the matresses every week for that spot! The Greek was solid muscle... Sousa a martial arts guy. Ouch! We had two commit suicide and gave 3 or 4 blanket parties between boot camp and AIT. Our platoon took all ribbons except the written test. They looked good on the guidon (spell?). TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For the record... '67 San Diego Recruit Depot. platoon 1007. SSGT Gaddy, Crazy Garcia (Ok, ladies, sqaut thrusts forever. You may begin!) Puckett, and Williams. TTC

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the record... '67 San Diego Recruit Depot. platoon 1007. SSGT Gaddy, Crazy Garcia (Ok, ladies, sqaut thrusts forever. You may begin!) Puckett, and Williams. TTC

I have many relatives that fought in nom and even more in WW11

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Terry, Am I the only one that had a good time in the military?

Anyway, the best tool for meteorites is probably a map of a known strewn field.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread