toms_meteorite_small9.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 722

pgleba

Oct 4, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Re: Tom's meteorite

Best way to check this out is to cut and polish a surface. If it is an iron meteorite it should show Widmanstatten figures.

OP
OP
Tommi

Tommi

Sep 19, 2005
Australia
Detector(s) used
Famous-Trails-MD9100 ACE250-PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeh, I was wondering how to get it tested so I have written confirmation that it is a meteorite.
Problem is I'm in Australia and we have rules and laws about anything and everything... and the meteorite falls under the anything catagory .... maybe if I chip a tiny bit off it to send to someone here; last thing I want it is to take the whole thing there and not get it back.

pgleba

Oct 4, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4

I had a friend who went to Australia a number of years ago. He got out gold he found with no problem. Things may have changed.

If it is a meteorite, a little chip will devalue it greatly.

Here in the states there are places that will identify meteorites. State College in Arizona and the Smithsonian come to mind.

There should be a geology department in some Australian university who could help you out. I would trust them.

Besides cutting and polishing, if you could identify nickel in the specimen this would strongly indicate a meteorite.

OP
OP
Tommi

Tommi

Sep 19, 2005
Australia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for helping me out pgleba, what are meteorites worth??? how much would mine sell for ???

twogunz

Apr 13, 2005

depending on composition they can be a kings ransom. I have seen some sell for 20 grand a gram for the rare type, others for peanuts if they are common. Mostly the science type places that do government research want them

OP
OP
Tommi

Tommi

Sep 19, 2005
Australia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

From all the research I have done, I don't know if its a meteorite as I found only one other meteorite with gold on it and that measured 1mm ::) and none with silver at all, EDIT: Also a guy from a website said its a slag because it has flat edges and was found in a creek.

I'm going to go meteorite hunting on the weekend with my basic MD .... wish me luck :'(

T

trapperjon

Tommi, yours looks alot like mine.I really dont think anyone can tell from a photo, if it is a true space rock. I would really like to know, which rocks go for $20000.a gram ,and why. I am ready to sell mine anytime for less or more of course,but I dont know how to estimate a price based on what I have.
I live close to UCLA and the jet propulsion lab in pasadina,calif., I will try and find out more, but i would sure hate to get ripped off,for less,if mine is worth more. I dont believe yours is slag. I found mine like it is,not to far from a secret black ops govt plant in the calif desert,years and years ago.
If yours is magnetic,it is not slag. I believe the govt.was experimenting with mine because it has been ground flat on both sides and polished. A lot of wierd siteings and other phenomina have taken place where i found it,you actually get goosebumps in this area.

trapperjon

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread