I think it has Fusion Crust

Dig em all

Nov 28, 2009
I think it has Fusion Crust

Found this at my job thought it was a fossil at first some friend said it was a metiorite, one thinks it could be radioactive? A magnet sticks, detector goes off,looks like it has fussion crust along with dripping, 54 grams. What do you think?
BEARDSLEY%20PARK
Meteoritemaybe002.jpg

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Re: I think it has Fusion Crust

While there is no single definitive feature for a meteorite, I don't think this is one.

Meteorites enter the Earth's atmosphere at high speeds, which cause friction (ablation) and usually melting. There are too many angular sharp edges to this stone to indicate meteorite to me. Hope I'm wrong.

OP
OP
D

Dig em all

Nov 28, 2009

I live 1/2 hour from the "Yale Peabody Museum of Natural History" in New Haven Connecticut so I figured I would check out the website and I found this:

Specimen Identifications:

Find something outside, or in your mother’s attic, and can’t be sure what it is? There’s no guarantee we will know either, but if you have an object or specimen from nature we’ll give it a try! No live vertebrate animals. Also note that human-created artifacts are much more difficult for us to identify and usually impossible to authenticate. We cannot and will not appraise objects or specimens or give any estimate of dollar value.

To begin the specimen identification process, contact Armand Morgan at [email protected] or 203-432-3297. Be prepared to submit one or more good quality, close-up digital photos before being invited to bring your specimen(s) to the Museum.

After contacting them I recieved this reply so far....

Hi, could you provide us with a little bit of information about where you acquired your specimen? Sincerely, Armand

Armand MorganOffice of Public EducationYale Peabody MuseumP.O. Box 208118New Haven. CT 06520-8118203 432-3297
:dontknow: "Acquired and Specimen" sound good ;D

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro

Careful. Acquired and specimen are also code words for ownership. Rocks found on BLM or public land, especially meteorites, do not belong to the finder.

OP
OP
D

Dig em all

Nov 28, 2009

I recieved the call today and they want to take a look at it next week at Yale Peabody

OP
OP
D

Dig em all

Nov 28, 2009

I went to Yale Peabody on Friday and met with Armand And Barbra, where i was informed,,,,,it was not a metiorite However it was Iron Oar that was melted at one time and what I thought was 'Fusion Crust" was in fact Glass.

Thanks to Armand and Barbra of the Peabody Museum. :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions