1400 pound meteorite - how big of a crater?

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marc, Stumbled upon this today.. Thought yall might like to read this... As Yall know more bout meteors then I do..
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New York Times, March 11 1897, p. 1

EXPLOSION OF A METEOR

---

One Man Rendered Unconscious and the Head of a Horse Crushed

Parkersburg, West Va., March 10. -

A meteor burst over the town of New Martinsville yesterday. The noise of the explosion resembled the shock of a heavy artillery salute, and was heard for twenty miles. The cylindrical shaped ball of fire was forging along in a southwesterly direction when first discovered. The hissing sound of the fire could be heard for miles, and the smoke gave the meteor the appearance of a burning balloon.

When the meteor exploded the pieces flew in all directions, like a volcanic upheaval, and solid walls were pierced by the fragments. David Leisure was knocked down by the force of the air caused by the rapidity with which the body passed, before it broke. The blow rendered him unconscious. One horse had its
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the mid to late 1800's Wetzel county experienced a huge meteor shower. There is a newspaper article on the WV archives site about it.
My great uncle used to talk of "moon rocks". He lived 13 miles outside of town on Rt 7. He said these moon rocks were up on the hill. I think this was part of the meteor shower
Again I came across this today and thought yall may find it interesting...

Poorhunter78

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread