I want a meteorite

SteveDodds

Dec 9, 2006
North Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, BH 202
I want a meteorite. I have been looking on ebay for one but I am worried about getting screwed. I have been lookin there so that I can try and save money. I cant afford to buy one off of one of the meteorite websites. Anybody have any ideas for me? Is there anyone here that would be interested in selling one cheaply? I think it would be really neat to have one to display. I'm sure this post is pointless so you don't need to tell me so. Thanks.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I want a meteorite TOO! Thing is, I want to find my own. You can buy an iron or stony/iron relatively cheap off those internet sites. I will look for mine using my detector. The "Gold Basin" in northwest AZ is where I will find mine. Buying one on the internet shouldn't be more than a few dozen dollars, if you stick with the irons. Check some more. You'll find one. (pointless... what are you talking about?? pointless.... ya gotta start somewhere! If we all could afford Hummers, VW would be out of business!) I'm sure you will find a rock in your price range. TTC

gilmerman

Dec 31, 2006
Central South East
Terry C, just like to take the time to say you are a credit to this forum. Lots of guys and gals would like to ask questions but don't because of all the smart a$$, know it alls, found here. They would be more respected if they dropped the, one upmans crap, and helped a newbe. You have my respect for your patience and attempts to help. High Five Guy.

pwcguy

May 20, 2010
Va
Detector(s) used
E-Trac (retired)
CTX3030, Double Eagle
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can buy one from here: http://www.unitednuclear.com/
They are not cheap though. They have some other cool stuff too. Ever want to have your own Uranium?

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I bought one for 5 bucks at a gold show, pretty small, but hey it's a meteorite! Hit the rockhounding shows and see what comes up?

rickn1

Dec 14, 2011
Southern Saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No such thing as a pointless question. I am new to the site so I don't know how many people will deal / barter with me, but here goes. As stated in my bio I am new to metal detecting and so far my finds are some 1930's Canadian coins BUT I did find 2 meteorites. One about the size of a "jagged" golf ball and the other is about "fist size" I have had them verified by a Canadian University. ( high nickle content ) I would be willing to SWAP the smaller one, but not the big guy. I am a rockhound as well as a ham radio operator for my other hobbies. I can supply picture and dimensions if anyone is interested. So what have you got to swap ??? ...Rick... [email protected]

shepcal

Mar 19, 2003
Oakhurst,CA
Detector(s) used
modded 4500, CTX30-30, Gold Monster1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Steve, I've gotten several the last few years from up north and Gold Basin. As Terry said, not much market value. Wantta e-mail me or PM me your address and I'll send you a genuine Gold Basin meteorite.
Merry Christmas!

Shep

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BTW: here's a not so well kept "secret". Meteorites are EVERYWHERE! They are even in your hair.... that is, if you don't mind MICROMETEORITES. Yes. Go to just about any downspout of any home and look in the loose dirt at the bottom. TONS of those babies fall everyday. Get a microscope and, using above lighting (not from below), look for very round spheres. Those are meteorites! They are SMALL but meteorites, just the same. peices of the heavens! Google up MICROMETEORITES to get more info on how to collect them. And they're FREE! TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jeep said:
Here's a pretty good site:

http://www.meteorites-for-sale.com/

I used to find small ones as a kid with a magnet, have not came across any in years though.

Good post :icon_thumright: , gave me a great idea for a project with my grandson.
Hint: cover the magnet with a baggie.... When you take the mag out of the baggie all the "stuff" falls off. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread