Possible Meterorite

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know it is probably impossible to be able to determine based on a picture alone but is there any indication that this could be a meteorite? I found it this afternoon with my metal detector. My first indication was that it set off my detector. It does feel heavy for it's size and when I got it home I tried the magnet test and there is a strong attraction...any info would be appreciated!

Attachments

• DSCF0117.JPG
    DSCF0117.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,109

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
At the very least, this stone looks like is has recently been melted.

Here's another test that may help. The stone does look metallic to my eye. Now it's necessary to prove that. Take a small carbon-steel file, and file a small window into the stone. Needs to be a few mm long at least. Try to do this on a side where it is not too obvious. Take as close a photo of the "window" as possible, and post it. We'll try to help you with the results.

What I personally would be looking for are called Widmanstatten diagrams, which are cross-hatched metallic flow lines in the stone. Widmanstatten diagrams are nearly 100% conclusive for meteorites. Most confirmed metallic meteorites have them present. Try searching for them in Google.

Good Luck! This might be the one in 10,000 that is.

clockdryve

Greenie
Dec 10, 2005
I don't think you will find the Widmanstatten structure unless you polish the area
and use an acid to etch the iron away from the nickle...

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could be anything, and if it is a space rock, let someone that knows what they are doing test it. Call your local college, and talk to the Geology department, and see if you can get the professor to eye it.

stonecutter1

Apr 25, 2011
Shawnee, KS
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites MXT,Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here,s a quick and safer way to etch your iron meteorites.This was given to me by a collector from St. Louis. Go to Radio Shack and buy their circuit board etching solution. Put some in a small container, put the piece you want to etch in there for 2 or 3 minutes, it will etch fairly quickly. Be careful not to leave it in to long it will etch it real deep. The widmanstatten pattern comes out nicer if you prepolish the surface then etch it. When you are finished soak your piece in methanol and let air dry then oil the surface and let it dry. There is a couple of pics of stuff I made and etched on my post "meteorite jewelry' Anyhow the circuit board solution is much faster and safer than messing with nitric acid.

Rockhunter1620

Feb 1, 2012
S.E. Mi.
Detector(s) used
F-75 S.E.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry Bro, but widmanstatten patterns are never going to appear on the etched surfaces of the windows cut into bits of train wreckage or slagg, looks like you got a nice bit of slagg there:dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread