Ancient Achondrite Meteorite Fall in Montana ?

AU79

Apr 24, 2004
Here it goes for what its worth. After following up on a old story about an area north of Billings where a meteorite was being used as door stop at ranch house, I started searching the area and consequently stopped and spoke to one of the local ranchers and asked if he new anything about the story. he said he had never herd the story but told me about a place out in the hills not far from his ranch that has funny black rocks that look really out of place for the area. after getting directions I made the 2 mile hike and was stunned by what I found. what looks to me like a an ancient Achondrite fall.

Although some of the rocks set off my metal detector, there does not seem to be any strong magnetism on the rust covered samples I tested. I'm not even sure I have located the central impact site if there is one because the site is very large and there is so much dark rock scattered around. There are also some very strange white spherical rocks the size of soft balls and bowling balls that are crystalline on the inside that have a geode look about them but very different from any geode i have ever seen before.

The fact remains that this site is very strange and hard to explain Geologically. It is located in what we call Rimrock country (Eagle/Fort Union formation which is primarily Sandstone) and there are no ancient or recent Volcanic's in the area and there is no indication that these rocks contain any basalt or andesite. The only other possible explanation is that it could be the remnants of a Coal Clinker (lignite) fire https://www.dmr.nd.gov/ndgs/NDNotes/ndn13_h.htm that has eroded away. however I have seen these before and they usually have more of a reddish look and the host rock is an altered coal layer. We have a lot of snow now but when things warm up I will continue to photograph and document the site and see if I can locate any Iron or Nickle samples. I also am also planning on having a sample tested soon.

I really do not know what this site is or if it is in fact a meteorite fall but I can find no other explanation for what I have found.

see photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/74583211@N03/sets/72157628918725267

dpepple

Tenderfoot
Nov 20, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice picts! :icon_thumright: Did you get any samples? Maybe you could send it to that meteorite research lab at the University of Arizona to see if you're right. I'd keep the site a secret until then... those rocks could be worth some big bucks if they are real. HH

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
The stone on the left in photo 20120113-00324 looks interesting, but atypical. Most of the other stones look atypical for meteorites as well.

If I had to guess based just on the photos, I'd say probably not. Hope I'm wrong.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread