8:00 AM 4-22-12... Possible meteorite fall in CA.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A boom was heard here at the house. It shook things on shelves here in Murphys. We called 911 to report a possible explosion. She was very "excited" due to numerous calls from all over Calaveras and Tuolumne Counties. The Pine Tree, a local "internet news spot" just reported (8:30 am) that the Powells of Arnold, CA reports seeing a meteorite just before the loud bang. Any more can be found at www.thepinetree.net TTC

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool post Terry! It was probably just the Aurora coming back into Nevada from a run over Iran..

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll be monitoring this one closely, Terry. True, it probably fell many miles away, and much of the sierras around here are pretty rugged, but many will try to find it. Hopfully, we will find it! Tnx for the response. TTC

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Update: KCRA news (Sacramento) is reporting the bang was heard as far away as Lake Tahoe, NV. TTC

dan rice

Apr 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was walking the dogs over in Tahoma (Tahoe) this morning around 8 and saw a larger fire ball explode in the sky with no sound. we could see the debris after it exploded braking in smaller pieces. the sound did not come until about 3-5 mints after. this “fireball” was head to the west just south of home wood ski area. the explosion shook the ground and houses it was followed by a crackling sound that lasted for at least a minute. very neat probably will never see such a thing again.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dan, we heard the crackling here also, above Murphys, CA. That is how I immediately recognized that the bang was NOT a sonic boom. Now, having said that, the officials will say it was a sonic boom. TTC

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A COPY OF ThePineTree.net write-up....(Update as of 10:01am...there was a meteor shower last night...so wouldn't it be great if we actually had an impact in our area? As long is it was a safe impact. We should have had comments enabled earlier on this post but below are some that have been sent in...(Update as of 10:14am...We just spoke with Mary Jo from Calfire TCU and they have had numerous "Smoke Checks" this morning and they have all been confirmed as debris burns... (Update as of 10:22am....Just checked in with the busy Calaveras Sheriff's Dispatch center and they confirmed that the California OES has issued a statement that part of a comet did enter the atmosphere above our are and caused the boom. As of yet there has not been a confirmed impact point!!.... GREAT DAY IN THE MORNING!!! TTC

Last edited:

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the news flash about the possible meteorite fall. Sure would be neat if you could find a piece of it.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, Old Digger, there isn't enough life left in my bones to do the mountain climbing needed to find this fall. Hopefully, a Sierra Hillbilly will report that it fell on his spread. No word yet. Sure would like to hear someone found it. Tnx. TTC

funkapotamus

Feb 25, 2012
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was in the bathroom and it shook the house. It scared the hell out of my dogs. I wish was outside.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UPDATE: At least two reputable sources ( with long phd credentials) say the extraterrestrial object was either a meteor or astroid the size of a mini-van. It probably was about 5 miles above earth when it exploded. They also confirmed that portions of the object would have made it to the ground, in CA. TTC

Jun 19, 2011
Yes Calisdad. I personally know the guy Robert who has found these two. He is the original finder of two out of 3 Witness fall's for California. It isn't too far from you. The cemetery i believe he is in is Union Town Cemetery west of Where Sutter's mill is,
If I where in your shoes in this area I would head out there. Only 15 grams have been found as of 9:14pm AZ time. but they are believed to bring around $100 per gram for this rare type! If you need any direction to the area let me know! there are already 30+ Hunters there!

-BILLY

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry,the meteorite gangs rushed to the area and have already found pieces of the meteorite. It is a CC.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll bite: what's a CC?

I was a bit surprised they were detecting in a cemetary but I guess if the're not digging I'll give 'em a pass. Best of luck to them. It can't be easy.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry Was Right!

You nailed it with your first post Terry. Here is a picture of some of the recovered meteorite, which they say is NOT detectable with a metal detector, but IS lightly magnetic!

Attachments

• 17grams.JPG
    17grams.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 705

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Garden Valley and drive through Lotus, just North Of Coloma, there were a lot of people at Lotus park directly under the debris fall as mentined in the Mt. Democrat
The hardware store is selling out of magnets i heard through a friend who works there. And no tall tale a guy i know who has several acres across the river from the park had NASA walk down his driveway he has a big flat open field on part of his property...true story we were laughing about it at a BBQ today hes thinking about making a large monetary request just to see what they say..people walking the sides of the road swinging sticks way too fast to even pick up a dropped washer pretty funny..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread