New and Need opinions please :)

jerr8509

Jun 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive aways had an interest in meteorites, and have done some research, Both rocks are/were covered in a crust and have thumbprints,

First sample was found while camping at the lake, the second was found at the other side of the lake 10 min away.

DSC_0228.JPG DSC_0226.JPG DSC_0223.JPG DSC_0225.JPG

Thanks for the view!

MinerGirl

Nov 17, 2011
meicigama
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Jerr8509,

Those hold real promise, I think. A couple ideas to check...the crust should be "Thin-ish", not too Thick...look close for "flow-lines" on the crust..there should be some. Many things can have a crust...alot of rocks in the Desert have whats called "Desert Varnish"...other rocks have "crusts" that can come from heavy petroleum deposits etc

Check out this link for many examples of both Meteor "Rights" and Meteor "Wrongs"

http://meteorites.wustl.edu/more_info_nonlunar.htm

This is a better website than the one I posted last night. Click in the blue box that says Identification Aids..for Photos of both Meteor "rights" and Meteor "wrongs"

I found a rock that had "flow lines", crust, different color center etc...found near water...The crust is pretty thick and may not be what I hoped...Take Very good pics and send to this site above in Washington University in St. Louis...They can help I.D. it.

MinerGirl

Last edited:

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jerr8509...excellent find & nice specimen...

Minergirl...thanks for sharing, great link for meteorites...

MinerGirl

Nov 17, 2011
meicigama
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jerr8509...excellent find & nice specimen...

Minergirl...thanks for sharing, great link for meteorites...

Hi Cariboo5....no problem...:) At first I couldn't Re-Find this link. I thought I "Bookmarked" it and for some reason did not! Took me awhile to find again...one of those "OH NO"! moments...Its saved now.

MinerGirl

OP
OP
J

jerr8509

Jun 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aye thanks for the replies and a very informative link!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the net, Jerr. Probably not. Sorry. Check for nickle. If you get a possitive for nickle, then it very likely is! More pics, please. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread