S

sciflyer25

Nov 22, 2011
Montco, PA
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just read a report that there is a 20 foot crater and at least 3 pieces recovered. With that many sonic booms, there are probably at least hundreds, maybe thousands or fragments. Looks like there will be plenty of material for all types of collectors.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, I've been eagerly searching eBay and looking for fragments to pop up. None so far.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yep, I've been eagerly searching eBay and looking for fragments to pop up. None so far.

The Russians have 20,000 members of their army searching for fragments. It just happened today, too early for eBay or anywhere else....

Doodle Bug

Feb 4, 2013
Holy cow!
1000 people injured in initial report (most from glass that shattered)
That is one big space rock.

"The Earth is saturated with history, all we need to do is extract it." - Doodle Bug

Last edited:

Skinsfan

Feb 14, 2013
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Garret Pro Pointer
Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The "Meteorite Men" will be on teh case soon...

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Geez, I stand corrected, but would you trust this? Looks already cut?!

Meteorite from Chelyabinks Russia 2013 Meteor Fall Asteroid | eBay

BTW, I'm sure there are a lot of regulars here. I post to the North American Artifact section, but have maintained a meteorite collection since 1983. This is going to be one of the all time historic falls. Amazing coincidence that it happen the same day a Near Earth asteroid is making a close pass about 2:30pm Eastern time.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Story made the front page this morning. The experts are going to learn a lot from this one.
Any bets on the $/gm on this one. I say $60usd. For all the cons out there that speak a little Rusky here's an E bay opportunity comrade.
Until the scientists get an exact signature no one will know if a fragment is real or not.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Story made the front page this morning. The experts are going to learn a lot from this one.
Any bets on the $/gm on this one. I say $60usd. For all the cons out there that speak a little Rusky here's an E bay opportunity comrade.
Until the scientists get an exact signature no one will know if a fragment is real or not.

Buy from reputable sources only for a start. Who knows how much will be found, how much will reach market, what the classification is. Without knowing classification and TNW, tough to say how much/ gram.

OP
OP
S

sciflyer25

Nov 22, 2011
Montco, PA
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on the type of rock, supply and demand. Obviously, the demand will be there, but how much Russia allows out will be a huge factor. Also, in the meteorite market, prices are usually the highest right away, and then come down after a while due to some of the original suppressed supply flooding the market. It depends on which dealers get some first. When the Mifflin, WI meteorite hit, I was fortunate to get a 2 gram slice with crust for $50/gram. Not much of that material found, and it is RARELY offered on ebay years later, and what is offered well exceeds $50/gram.
The martian Tissint sells for somewhere over $1000/gram. $70 got me a very small "crumb" 0f approx. 140 mg with crust. Very small, but under a quality loop, it looks spectacular.

Last edited:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It depends on the type of rock, supply and demand. Obviously, the demand will be there, but how much Russia allows out will be a huge factor. Also, in the meteorite market, prices are usually the highest right away, and then come down after a while due to some of the original suppressed supply flooding the market. It depends on which dealers get some first. When the Mifflin, WI meteorite hit, I was fortunate to get a 2 gram slice with crust for $50/gram. Not much of that material found, and it is RARELY offered on ebay years later, and what is offered well exceeds $50/gram.
The martian Tissint sells for somewhere over $1000/gram. $70 got me a very small "crumb" 0f approx. 140 mg with crust. Very small, but under a quality loop, it looks spectacular.

i agree. I've seen 2 fake offerings on eBay as well for the new Russian fall. Fragments have now been found and it was apparently a chondrite:

BBC News - Meteorite fragments found in Russia's Urals region

OP
OP
S

sciflyer25

Nov 22, 2011
Montco, PA
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, sounds like an ordinary chondrite. Not a rare type. They should thoroughly examine the bottom of the lake.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread