OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, what I would do is send an email to Arizona State University - they have a state of the art center for meteorite studies. Include a couple pictures with your story of how you found them If you have a digital camera, set is on "macro" when you photograph a small piece in natural sunlight (this really brings out detail in coins and small mineral specimens).
I should have mentioned contacting ASU sooner, I guess I did not think of it since you are in Canada.

http://meteorites.asu.edu/
Don't know what Canada and U.S. laws are for meteorites to or from each others borders?....You have any idea sciflyer25??

sciflyer25

Nov 22, 2011
Montco, PA
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Canadian law requires an export permit. I own a piece of the Buzzard Coulee fall and have a copy of the export paper.
US has no such requirement that I am aware of.
I did not mean to imply to send an actual fragment to ASU, rather just an email with some pics to get a quick opinion.

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Canadian law requires an export permit. I own a piece of the Buzzard Coulee fall and have a copy of the export paper.
US has no such requirement that I am aware of.
I did not mean to imply to send an actual fragment to ASU, rather just an email with some pics to get a quick opinion.
Buzzard Coulee piece..Nice!..I darn near drove out there when I heard it on the news(two day drive from where I am now),have family in Edmonton (only 3-4 hrs from the site area)...couldn't make it, timing,work, etc. Maybe yet, there's no-way they found it all!!!:thumbsup:
Not much a computer wizard :BangHead: :icon_scratch: 6-yr old kids probably better at this than me!:laughing7: so I'll just 'wait and see' with this institute.

sciflyer25

Nov 22, 2011
Montco, PA
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same problem with falls here - they never happen close to where I live, in the mid-atlantic/NE US. Unless there is a fall within a couple hours drive, I have no way of hunting myself.
Good luck and keep us updated!

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same problem with falls here - they never happen close to where I live, in the mid-atlantic/NE US. Unless there is a fall within a couple hours drive, I have no way of hunting myself.
Good luck and keep us updated!
Another update scifler25...Just got another reply from the Institute. Didn't expect anything till after the weekend! Have some idea now on an amount of sample for testing, papers, documents they'll mail for signatures needed etc.
So have to go for a bit....haven't even replied to them yet with address etc. :)

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tips scifler25.....this University I am dealing with are the same people who handled "The Southampton Meteorite" so they'll do a good job I'm sure. ;)
After that...the truth will be out! HA! :)
Oh! by the way...the Southhampton meteorites main body is 'Iron surrounding pallasite'...These pieces are not. The body surrounding the Yellow/Green crystals looks like stone...'some parts seem burnt black and glassy under magnification.

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well....sf25 and folks...just got the final reply from the institute, Be using the 'techno' way..(P/C) for the paperwork/agreement. Should be "Fun" :laughing7:...the 'P/C Wizard' that I am!!! :thumbsup: Heh heh heh!! Back soon.

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck! Their interest is very encouraging.
Thanks Charl,
After carrying and (keeping track of and not losing) this little cannister in all my living/moving back and forth across Canada from 'The Great Lakes to The Rockies' since I was 14-15 yrs old, now some 35 years later..Partly thanks to T/N and its people...I decided "It's Time" to 'unlock the mystery'! Quite a story behind this. Hope to share it..."When Tested Possitive!!" Ha!
TJE

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well sf25...and fellow hunters, Just about to head to the Post Office. The sample package is ready, the documents are filled in and signed!! Now, just have to give 'the head curator for meteorites' a heads-up that the package is on its way. :)

Was told "even before their tests...a quick visual under magnification" will give them a "good indication"...
So I may get an early email from Pre-Analysis.
Back soon :)
TJE

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well sf25...and fellow hunters, Just about to head to the Post Office. The sample package is ready, the documents are filled in and signed!! Now, just have to give 'the head curator for meteorites' a heads-up that the package is on its way. :)

Was told "even before their tests...a quick visual under magnification" will give them a "good indication"...
So I may get an early email from Pre-Analysis.
Back soon :)
TJE

Just read up on the Southampton meteorite in the Meteoritical bulletin. The experts reject so many based solely on photos, I'm rooting for you too, TJE. They may feel you have more fragments of Southampton. Thanks for finding that reference, scyflyer! TJE, if you picked up what was witnessed the next day, it is odd to have rust that quick, maybe you found part of another fall. Based on your photos, I can understand their interest, and believe me, 99 out of 100 are probably rejected at the photo stage.

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just read up on the Southampton meteorite in the Meteoritical bulletin. The experts reject so many based solely on photos, I'm rooting for you too, TJE. They may feel you have more fragments of Southampton. Thanks for finding that reference, scyflyer! TJE, if you picked up what was witnessed the next day, it is odd to have rust that quick, maybe you found part of another fall. Based on your photos, I can understand their interest, and believe me, 99 out of 100 are probably rejected at the photo stage.
Thanks Charl, the rust (which isn't plentiful)...I can't honestly say how long ago it formed in the 35 yrs. since. Never even really studied/magnified the pieces till probably the late 90's-2000 (with a little 2x glass)...and never even owned a computer till 3-4 years ago. ha! :) So...30 some years later between all the fossil, bone and unknown stone crystals I've collected all my life...I bought a 10x loupe with a light!...Long Story! :)
Anyway, samples are on their way 'to the experts'!! :)
Back soon my fellow Seekers!
TJE

sciflyer25

Nov 22, 2011
Montco, PA
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How cool it would be if you retrieved space rocks when you were just a kid? I remember when I was 11 Halley's Comet was coming back through the solar system in 1986 and could be seen with a telescope. We had no telescope, and I did not see it. But that is what got me interested in space and all it had to offer when I was younger.

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How cool it would be if you retrieved space rocks when you were just a kid? I remember when I was 11 Halley's Comet was coming back through the solar system in 1986 and could be seen with a telescope. We had no telescope, and I did not see it. But that is what got me interested in space and all it had to offer when I was younger.
Yep sf25, It'll be a 35 yr old question/hunch...finally answered!!! ;)
I think as kids we all have looked deep into a clear nights sky..thinking, in amazement and wonder...how far does our 'Neighbourhood' really go!!??....and I/some of us still do!!! heh heh! :)
Guess we're not suppose to know till it's 'our time' ...."eh"!...(Canadian way to say..Right?) hahaha :)

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, still waiting for email...for reassurance that the 'Postal Service' got it there and didn't 'misplace it! (crossed fingers)! ;)
Only a 4 hr drive...so...a day would be normal...wouldn't it!!?? ha!.

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update sf25...and folks.
Just checked my 'Mail Tracker' ID number, the package was in the institutes city
and left for delivery earlier this morning. Hopefully it arrives 'safe and sound'.
Waiting now to hear a reply it has! :)

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Folks!..'Tracker' says..The Samples have been delivered!!! (received at 7:10 A.M.this morning)...

SOOOO.....6-7 hrs later...and no email reply as of yet.....HOPE this means: ...Visual/Magnification has "PAST":icon_scratch::laughing7:

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
It likely means that they have been delivered to the main office, and it will take some time for them to be delivered from there to those who are waiting for them. Email them and ask, they could go on search for them.

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, I believe the 'Earth and Sciences Meteorite Division' and the 'Head Curator of Meteorites' offices are under the same roof....having the same address for both....No matter! :) .......Still no reply email yet! ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread