Witnessed Fall / Meteorite

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I'm a new member here. I've an old 35 ml film container with pieces of a nighttime witnessed fall that was retrieved the very next morning back in 1977-78 very close to Lake Huron, Canada. I've searched the computer for photos and I am 'stumped'!! (I know this sounds silly) But..the only pics that resemble these pieces are martian meteorites. Here are a few photos (probably not a good enough camera). Alot of clear greenish stone and shiny specks throughout, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Attachments

• SUNP0396.JPG
    SUNP0396.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 293
  • SUNP0399.JPG
    SUNP0399.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 272
  • SUNP0400.JPG
    SUNP0400.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 293
  • SUNP0401.JPG
    SUNP0401.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:

sciflyer25

Nov 22, 2011
Montco, PA
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[meteorite-list] Rare meteorite found near Lake Huron

I'm no expert, but with pallasites, there is usually much material, with the bigger peices deep.
Examples include Brenham, Esquel, Glorietta, Fukang.
My advice would be to get a metal detector out where the smaller fragments were found.
Also, try getting in touch a university to have it sliced and tested. Looks and sounds promising.
How many pieces do you have? Know anyone else who retrieved any?
Jim

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Jim, thanks for the info.....I've a dozen or so smaller pieces than the one in photo. I just read the [meteorite-list] above your reply, that rare pallasite meteorite was found in 2001 about 15 miles from here!...quite a coincident don't you think :)
Thanks again,
TJE

sciflyer25

Nov 22, 2011
Montco, PA
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since strewnfields can be many miles in length and width, it may be more than just coincidence. I would definitely take a sample to your local university.

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I'll be going for a 3-4 hr drive down the highway in the future I believe! ;)
Thanks again.

sciflyer25

Nov 22, 2011
Montco, PA
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't you just email the university and mail in a small fragment, rather than driving that far? Although I don't know the way the postal service works in canada, that would seem more practical.

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, postal would be cheaper too! :) But may be picking up an Inlaw at the City airports soon....so may be able to do a little detour...and meet 'the experts' in person! :)
Thanks again..sciflyer25
TJE

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Sciflyer25...Waiting on a reply from a University that specializes in meteorites on the amount needed to verify!...(may have to use P.O. after-all), they're too far out of the way from Airport.
TJE.

sciflyer25

Nov 22, 2011
Montco, PA
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck. I forgot to mention Imilac from the Atacama desert. That strewnfield has yielded many small fragments.

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well sciflyer25.... Got a Reply!!....It's a Go!! ;) now they're waiting for my reply..and test sample.
Very Interested by way of the Same info as I wrote here and the same pics!
They didn't specify the "Least amount needed" to test?.. hoping a few small samples will do! (self explanatory from my first post & pics here!) ....would you or anyone here have some info/knowledge as to "least amount needed"???
Thanks Again
TJE

sciflyer25

Nov 22, 2011
Montco, PA
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think 10 grams (1/3 ounce)would be enough, or the size of a small grape.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, finally found its little container I put them in 30-some yrs ago heh heh....here's the entire collection I have of the specimen to be tested....not much....hopefully get the sample or two in the post this coming week!

Attachments

• 2013-03-08 12.26.53.jpg
    2013-03-08 12.26.53.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 169

sciflyer25

Nov 22, 2011
Montco, PA
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have a gram scale? Maybe one of the medium size pieces to send. Does every single one of them look identical and stick to a magnet? Can you see green/yellow crystals on all of them? Is there any rust on the pieces?
It may not look like alot, but you have more pieces than I thought.
One more question - how did these rocks distinguish themselves from others in the area and did you find them with a metal detector?

sciflyer25

Nov 22, 2011
Montco, PA
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, what I would do is send an email to Arizona State University - they have a state of the art center for meteorite studies. Include a couple pictures with your story of how you found them If you have a digital camera, set is on "macro" when you photograph a small piece in natural sunlight (this really brings out detail in coins and small mineral specimens).
I should have mentioned contacting ASU sooner, I guess I did not think of it since you are in Canada.

http://meteorites.asu.edu/

Last edited:
OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have a gram scale? Maybe one of the medium size pieces to send. Does every single one of them look identical and stick to a magnet? Can you see green/yellow crystals on all of them? Is there any rust on the pieces?
It may not look like alot, but you have more pieces than I thought.
One more question - how did these rocks distinguish themselves from others in the area and did you find them with a metal detector?
Hey scifler25 -Gram scale: Yes, somewhere! ha. Medium size sample piece: Yes, I was thinking the same, contact them on Monday (hope it's enough!). Look identical: Yes, All Magnetic: Yes, they're all from one and the same object. Greenish and yellowish crystals in all: Yes, and parts that look burnt, black and glassy. Rust: Yes: not huge amounts.
And the last question: Didn't need a metal detector, it was a nighttime witnessed fall, retrieved the next morning in sandy area. It had a 'burnt' look to it.

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, what I would do is send an email to Arizona State University - they have a state of the art center for meteorite studies. Include a couple pictures with your story of how you found them If you have a digital camera, set is on "macro" when you photograph a small piece in natural sunlight (this really brings out detail in coins and small mineral specimens).
I should have mentioned contacting ASU sooner, I guess I did not think of it since you are in Canada.

http://meteorites.asu.edu/
Thanks for the tips scifler25.....this University I am dealing with are the same people who handled "The Southampton Meteorite" so they'll do a good job I'm sure. ;)
After that...the truth will be out! HA! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread