Meteorite, or wrong? Please help if you can, thank you!

kdutter

Tenderfoot
Mar 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WP_000075.jpg Found in north eastern Florida. It has a density well over 4, it is a metal, that fractures like a rock. It is extremely hard. It has a "fusion crust" I broke off a small corner to see whats inside. It looks like grains of very shiny metal under a microscope. It polishes to a mirror finish with "layers" visible under a microscope. Its the size of a small peach and weighs almost 2 lbs. Any help would be great! Thank you

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello kdutter, Is it magnetic,and does a piece of the raw material leave a mark on unglazed porcelain? ie. (a scratch on the bottom of a toilet tank lid).
Any more pics? Looks Interesting ;)
TJE

OP
OP
K

kdutter

Tenderfoot
Mar 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello kdutter, Is it magnetic,and does a piece of the raw material leave a mark on unglazed porcelain? ie. (a scratch on the bottom of a toilet tank lid).
Any more pics? Looks Interesting ;)
TJE

Does not leave a scratch line, very faint mark on toilet tank lid (bottom) transparent to slightly silverish line. Very weak magnetism, but its definitely there. interestingly, it was found within a mile of "round marsh" which may be an impact crater according to some. I've never seen anything like it. It took a sledge hammer and an axe blade to crack it. it broke my axe blade :-/ The inside is metal, the outside looks like rock?

OP
OP
K

kdutter

Tenderfoot
Mar 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WP_000081.jpg WP_000096.jpg Fresh picture

Last edited:

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems odd from it's small size, yet 2 lb. weight, even 'slag' or iron/meteorite should have good magnetism I think ?

OP
OP
K

kdutter

Tenderfoot
Mar 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WP_000106.jpg really weak magnetism, a magnet will not stick to it. But it will effect a magnet on a table or string. I've decided to dig into it more today with a dremel tool. The more I grind, the more bright metal I get. The metal looks like little spheres, and is very hard, but brittle. It grinds like pure metal. It's strange, it has a nickel color, but really shines like a mirror

Last edited:

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i found one just like that a few months ago prob something a blacksmith threw down along time ago i found mine on an old farm

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
when ya heat metal or leave it to long in the fire it will crystallize

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kdutter

Tenderfoot
Mar 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the insight, might be just that, don't guess I'll ever really know. I would have thought that it would have been more magnetic though? What were the typical metals used by blacksmiths way back when? This was unearthed after land grading near a man made retention pond. Previous to that, woods, never developed. I'm going to do the nickel test on it before I completely ruin it.

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
they used iron and nickel and other grades of steel my cuz is the best blacksmith around here in WV he even makes damascus steel he's made alot of knives and swords he makes good money off his knives

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kdutter

Tenderfoot
Mar 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New picture, sanded, and treated it with acetone ( all I had at the moment ) I can see a basket weave pattern when its wet and viewd at just the right angle? Any thoughts?

WP_000124.jpg

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have a college/ university in your area? They usually have a rock hound dept. (geology). Someone there should be able to help ID your find. I'm guessing that it is a fragment of a metal meteorite. HH

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iron shale.

golden ray

Jan 30, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
& Lobo
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From what you say,and the pictures. Very good indications that what you have is a 'iron/stony' meteorite.
( hard,heavy,magnetic,shiny specks inside,basket weave,thumbprints in picture) all good signs!
Find your closes university, and see if they will put their results in writting!!!

OP
OP
K

kdutter

Tenderfoot
Mar 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update. I think it's ferromanganese. Thanks for all the help!

Joescollection2012

Apr 5, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yours kinda looks like what I found today, heres mine: I get a good magnetic signal with it, but can only pick up small chunks of it with my magnet it is too heavy to be lifted completely. SAM_0626.JPG SAM_0627.JPG

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Guys, here is one of the better meteorwrong pages for purposes of comparison. Not likely a meteorite from what I can see and from what you describe. The last photo is definitely not a meteorite.

iron-oxide concretions

darthoblio

Jun 19, 2010
Guys, here is one of the better meteorwrong pages for purposes of comparison. Not likely a meteorite from what I can see and from what you describe. The last photo is definitely not a meteorite.

iron-oxide concretions

kdutter, your piece looks superficially like several chunks that I have and do believe are meteorite fragments. Heavy, lattice or crystalline structure inside, etc. Mine are also heavy but strongly magnetic, and are brittle. They'll shatter if you hit them with a hammer. The last "meteorwrong" image in Charl's link is exactly what mine look like.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread