silicon valley meteorite?

Knut dirtfisk

Jul 2, 2013
california
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Proportional
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this in my backyard bout six inches down a couple of months back. Magnets stick, reads as iron and nickel on my detector,super heavy, looks like its made up of metal grains or metal crystals tightly packed together about the size of a golf ball, conical on one side,flat on another,intermittent light rusty crust. Seems to meet all the criteria. I dont know who or where to take it to be verified,most places want money to do it, and I,m a new father,unemployed and if it is one, I,d sell it in a heartbeat. Any ideas on the value of one this size? meteorite1.jpg meteorite2.jpg

Attachments

• meteorite2.jpg
    meteorite2.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 218

Oklahoma Digger

May 14, 2013
Looks pretty there... I believe I see some regmaglypts... Streak test? Weight? Are u able to inside? If so a pic?

OP
OP
Knut dirtfisk

Knut dirtfisk

Jul 2, 2013
california
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't cut it to see inside. I don't want to compromise any value.It weights roughly a pound. passed the streak test. Just gotta get it to a professional I guess. Everybody I've shown it to who's opinion I could trust was pretty sure it is a meteorite and I'm about 95% certain. Any Idea on the value of one this size?

Oklahoma Digger

May 14, 2013
Value will consist on type of meteorite after it is classified. Getting it classified will have to go to a university or science museum.

stevejackson

Apr 22, 2013
madrid
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think the factors that including are rarity of type, if its a rare one it might get you good money.
what you can do now is show it to some professionals.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A couple of other suggestions for you. Since labs do charge, you could also send photos to very experienced dealers. Many listed on right hand side of this page...

http://www.meteorite.com/directory/cat/meteorite-dealers/

this is Geoffery Notkin's meteorite forum. It takes a few days to be approved as a member, but this will be the best place for photos short of a lab.

http://meteorites.ning.com/

if it is a meteorite, it will need to be classified by a recognized lab or you will never get much for it, although someone who was convinced it was would probably buy it for a song and dance if you let them. Get real experienced opinions from the people I suggested, many labs are backed up big time to boot with all the Moroccan material.

Last edited:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Not all labs charge for identification. They do need to stone, though. Include return postage for return of stone.

I'd suggest the Portland State University Meteorite Lab here in Oregon.

You will need to be patient. While your stone really does look like a meteorite (sort of) the features for positive identification are pretty involved.

One of the things you can do is purchase a nickel-steel file, and file a "window" past what appears to be a fusion crust (outer 1-3mm of stone). Examine the inside of the rock carefully. If you see lines running in many directions (Widmanstatten diagrams), it may be the real thing.

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not all labs charge for identification. They do need to stone, though. Include return postage for return of stone.

I'd suggest the Portland State University Meteorite Lab here in Oregon.

You will need to be patient. While your stone really does look like a meteorite (sort of) the features for positive identification are pretty involved.

One of the things you can do is purchase a nickel-steel file, and file a "window" past what appears to be a fusion crust (outer 1-3mm of stone). Examine the inside of the rock carefully. If you see lines running in many directions (Widmanstatten diagrams), it may be the real thing.

Watch a few videos to see how to polish the inspection window to develop the pattern. It will not show at all until you micro polish the surface and then treat it with acid. Or better yet, have the stone cut for immediate confirmation. If you decide to slice it into several pieces and it turns out to be authentic, you can sell each slice, but have a pro with a wire saw cut it for you, any other saw such as a tile saw will destroy too much material.

OP
OP
Knut dirtfisk

Knut dirtfisk

Jul 2, 2013
california
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an uncle who does lapidary and he's taking it to the tuscun gem fair in January, says he knows some dealers who are legit and will know or sure.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
If it's real do some research to try to identify the fall. Information adds to the value. Where there's one there's probably more. Your lucky you found it at home. Some collectors are getting a bit panicky for fear the Gov will claim their finds. Several have pulled their web sites.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions