Finally found a piece.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Several years ago I was out by a small lake near my home, watching the sky late one night like I like to do, well off in the distance I seen a bright light coming my way, and sure enough, and for as many as I have seen over the years, it was the slowest moving fireball I had ever seen, and it was directly over head, it was like the sun had come out it was so bright, and it was very low, I know this because I could hear it and watched fragments coming off of it, and you probably will not believe me but there were several splashes into the water near me as well as thuds hitting the ground.
It has taken me many years, but I finally found part of it, or if not a fragment, then another fall.
It has passed all home tests I know of, its is magnetic in a few spots, and taking my propointer to it, it beeps in a couple spots that are starting to rust, now if I can only find the rest of it.
It weighs 132 grams.
View attachment 867546
View attachment 867547

Rockhunter1620

Feb 1, 2012
S.E. Mi.
Detector(s) used
F-75 S.E.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry man, but that's not a meteorite, looks more like typical earth-born basalt, glacially deposited and water worn.
Don't git me wrong, I'm not sayin you didn't witness a fireball or a fall, I'm just sayin that "that ain't a piece of it"
But if'n you really got yerself convinced, then there shouldn't be problem for ya to spend a couple bucks to have it tested?
Right? And here's where you would send it to have it tested. Good luck! DSCF0858 (640x360).jpg
Oh, here's a little more info b'fore you call em or send it out.
http://meteorite-identification.com/streak.html

Last edited:

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Is there a university you can take it to & have them chk it out? I hope it is one. & OMGoodness!! you heard them falling around you? Glad you weren't hit. That's something to tell the grandkids.

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Well that's a bummer then, I guess I'll take my dremel to it and cut it.
And I did all the tests, but I did take it to a geologist, who offered to buy it on the spot, or to just buy a slice, the pictures are kinda worthless, since you are local to me rockhunter, we could meet up somewhere so you can see it up close.

Rockhunter1620

Feb 1, 2012
S.E. Mi.
Detector(s) used
F-75 S.E.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Mike, ya know I could be wrong, I ain't no absolute expert, I just seen tons of photos over the years by all kinds of folks thinkin they had
something from space , but you had a geologist offer to get a slice from it? Pay ya for it? I'd let a feller cut a slice and test it and I'd be willin
to pay him to do so, but to get an offer fer money without any authentication or compositional analysis, I don't know, that sounds fishy.
I'd be apprehensive at the least. But that's just me. These are some meteorite fragments that I've plucked from the ground myself, 2 are
Gold Basins, (L-4 chondrites) and the small black one was found here in Mi. It's an H-5 impact melt brecciated olivine, bronzite, (var. enstatite), chondrite.

2 gold basin's & a Rose City.jpg And then a couple others, again, all are gold basins, except the small triangular black one.

samples-6, 2.jpg

RelicPrime113

Aug 20, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver, Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats very interesting and cool at the same time. I'm not an expert either but i would get it checked out or do the home tests your self. Hope you really found one.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the one you saw should still be out there,not all is lost..

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you heard thuds around you, it should only take hours or minutes to find something with a metal detector or even a magnet. TTC

Knut dirtfisk

Jul 2, 2013
california
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Proportional
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well pallasites are meteorites so.... he found it. Congrates my man! helluva story to tell.Witnessed and recovered falls are worth alot more than average meteorites.

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finding one. Always been a desire of mine. I have a nice collection but never found my own. Also-witnessing a fall as you describe is even rarer than finding a piece. Pallasites are not common and are desired by collectors. There is usually a lot of nickle iron in the PALs so you could drag a magnet as you detect any open ground. They are also the most beautiful of the meteorites. I used to cut and prepare specimens as well as make jewelry from the Esquel & Immilac pallasites.
Nice find-get some more.
Before the huge discoveries in Africa I used to know the names of all the pallasites. Does your specimen have a specific name? If not-try to remember the date and direction of the fall. It would increase the value for you and the field of meteoritics.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't give up yet. I wouldn't saw it or anything, take it to a university (and don't leave it there in their possession.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread