shiny-sparkly silver metal, meteorite? silver? platinum?

1bear

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSC_0193 (3).JPG

I found this stone few days ago, its very sparkly, very heavy and reacts strongly to magnet.
Was wondering if you could help me to identify it...
Thanks a lot
1 bear(Scotland)

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try a scratch test on a piece of unglazed white porcelin. Most meteorites are smooth and don't have holes and nodules like that. Probably some type of terrestrial iron ore.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most of those "holes" look a lot like regmaglypts to me. Possibly a meteorite. TTC

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
looks

Most of those "holes" look a lot like regmaglypts to me. Possibly a meteorite. TTC

like a meteorite to me.The melted rivlets were the metal flowed when melting and the extreme velocity is not going to happen
with a terrestial rock:icon_thumleft:

zak_0

Aug 15, 2014
Lexington, Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks a bit like a meteorite but it depends on what type of area you are in. It is probably a meteorite due its inclusions and melted looking surface. Then again it could be slag. But if you have any way to cut through the rock to look for a special crystal pattern most metal meteorites have and there is a pattern of a sort of diagonal line crosshatch. Then you have yourself a meteorite.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks a bit like a meteorite but it depends on what type of area you are in. It is probably a meteorite due its inclusions and melted looking surface. Then again it could be slag. But if you have any way to cut through the rock to look for a special crystal pattern most metal meteorites have and there is a pattern of a sort of diagonal line crosshatch. Then you have yourself a meteorite.
The "crosshatch" you mention is called the Widmanstaaten (?) structure. It can only be formed "in space" in rocks that cool over millions of years.... not possible in our earth environment. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread