Is this a meteorite? Please help! thanks!

metalman333

Jan 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone Im a gnoob to metal detecting while testing my detector for the first time I stumbled upon this hunk of molten metal which I think is a possible meteor, I hope someone on here can verify it just by pics.

I just got into detecting too a few weeks ago, it was while just trying to see if the thing even orked after buying it, It is an older original MCscope GoldBug1 I got from Craigs list.

I was shooting for loose change to test it, in a fairly new modern playground and dug this out of the bark they use to pad the playgrounds. The bark was deep about 16inches or more and it was way down there, but I was able to find it, its about half the size of a common bic lighter in length and about same in width, but it weighs a lot. When I found it, it felt so heavy in my hands, I thought it was a very LARGE lead bullet that got chewed up. meteor didn't even cross my mind till later when I took home to look, (it was at night)

I know it could be just junk metal from the chipper maybe? slag? but something about makes me think not.. It has some light spots that look like it could be Nickle and there is small black balls on the surface and it appears to have been heated at some time and the weight is unusual to me.

I am hoping someone on here could id it, and maybe direct me to some experts in Los Angeles area ??

So, I can possibly have it tested verified?

thanks!

Attachments

• meteoriteclose2.jpg
    meteoriteclose2.jpg
    381.8 KB · Views: 168
  • meteorclosemed.jpg
    meteorclosemed.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 151
  • meteorite.jpg
    meteorite.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:

Knut dirtfisk

Jul 2, 2013
california
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Proportional
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure looks like it could be. Does a neodynium magnet stick to it? Did you do a streak test? What does it read as on your detector? I think theres kind of alot of edges though, typically they're more smooth and rounded off. I found something similar,still waiting for results. Check some meteorite identification videos on youtube for a better understanding of what to look for. good luck!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Probably not...and welcome to the net... the BEST treasure forum on the internet! TTC

OP
OP
M

metalman333

Jan 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes neodymium sticks well, its very magnetic very heavy, and has some very shiny spots that look like nickel very pale

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread