Mystery rock 2

RelicPrime113

Aug 20, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver, Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this several years ago on the Great Island of Welfleet Cape Cod MA. I was beach combing near the edge of a sand dune where there were lots of cool rocks and found this. I took it because I liked the cool shape and thought it looked like a frog. It didn't take me until several years later to realize that magnets stick to it when i started getting interested in meteorites. Its heavy too, no holes and very smooth and dark surface with what looks like fingernail prints. No holes and a magnet sticks to it like crazy. I did the tile test and it left no mark. I also did the file test on the the edge of it and it came out very shinny. Any ideas what it could be? Slag, Meteorite, Iron ore? There was once a ship in the cape cod bay that was used for target practicing but i dont know if it was from that. I use to find pieces of the ship on the beach and they were all very rusty. If they came from it that was lol. But anyway weather its a meteorite or not, its still a cool rock in the form of a frog.

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's not a meteorite. Would not have those types of clasts in it. It somewhat resembles Cumberlandite, found in Rhode Island and a common meteorwrong in these parts. But the glacier would not have dropped any on Cape Cod. Close resemblance, though. Definitely not a meteorite.

OP
OP
RelicPrime113

RelicPrime113

Aug 20, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver, Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys, I had a feeling it wasn't a meteorite but wasn't quite sure. So it could be Cumberlandite? Perhaps native Americans traded it, that area was really populated with them in the past. What ever it is, its an awesome rock and one im keeping in my collection.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread