Meteorite. or Magnetite. or slag or what ?

HeavyHitterCKBM

Greenie
Mar 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I've been hanging on to this rock/meteorite for years and never thought much about it until recently as I was looking at some pictures of an Iron Meteorite which immediately reminded me of my heavy rock in the china cabinet(not an ordinary china cabinet display to say the least). Does anyone know a safe, reputable place to send this this old rock to be tested so I can know for sure if it is or is not a Meteorite? Meteorites are new ground for me so some info and direction should go a long way and would be greatly appreciated.:BangHead:

Attachments

• second package 180.jpg
    second package 180.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 311
  • second package 176.jpg
    second package 176.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 288
  • second package 167.jpg
    second package 167.jpg
    942.2 KB · Views: 402
  • second package 191.jpg
    second package 191.jpg
    786.2 KB · Views: 245
  • second package 165.jpg
    second package 165.jpg
    673.5 KB · Views: 210
  • second package 158.jpg
    second package 158.jpg
    988.4 KB · Views: 472

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can tell you there is no reason to waste money testing it. It is clearly not a meteorite. I'm sorry I can't tell you if it is slag or something natural, but it is not a meteorite; you can take that fact to the bank.

OP
OP
H

HeavyHitterCKBM

Greenie
Mar 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, sorry Charl but im going to need more reassurance than that, I've done all the home tests and the stone has passed them all. If you would list some characteristics that make it clear to you, that may help. And a list of places to have rocks/meteors tested would definitely help.

Last edited:

michigan_twobox

Jun 23, 2012
Every time I read one of these post about meteorites it reminds me of the movie joe dirt. That's a space peanut! Lol:) I don't know what it is but I hope it's a meteorite, cool rock either way. Good luck happy hunting.

prospect007

Mar 16, 2014
western us
Detector(s) used
minelab 4000,fisher gb2,f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
asu-arizona state university tests meteors. they have a department just for meteor study.

OP
OP
H

HeavyHitterCKBM

Greenie
Mar 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HAHA, I hope its a space peanut to Michigan, and thanks prospect, ill check them out right away. HH fellas.

Last edited:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
LOL, sorry Charl but im going to need more reassurance than that, I've done all the home tests and the stone has passed them all. If you would list some characteristics that make it clear to you, that may help. And a list of places to have rocks/meteors tested would definitely help.

Well, the opinion was based on 30 years of experience collecting and curating a meteorite collection. It's absolutely not a meteorite. Now, to explain all that to you in the course of a reply in a forum to someone who has no experience is simply not an easy thing. I was just trying to save you the postage. No meteorite lab, and there are far fewer who accept specimens from the public now, will spend even 60 seconds looking at that. They will see what is obvious: it's not a meteorite. You can accept an experienced opinion or waste your postage. There are plenty of websites that will show you how to distinguish meteorite from meteowrongs. Google is your friend; give it a try.

http://meteorites.wustl.edu/meteorwrongs/meteorwrongs.htm

http://meteorites.wustl.edu/meteorwrongs/m079.htm

Last edited:

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

detectorFRED

Dec 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bottom image looks like a tiger head. By any chance when you look at it does it appear that the left side of it has been wounded and the left eye is no longer there/visible? I have a sculpture that looks just like this

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread