You found this with a metal detector?

Shunkaha

Apr 2, 2013
Helena, Montana
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705 Gold Pack, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
At 20 feet deep, I'm sure a backhoe or some type of heavy equipment was involved.

OP
OP
T

troydogs

Tenderfoot
Jun 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found it Deep ! Took pictures some wet and some dry . After we cut a piece off of the rock, the rock is magnetic ! It has tiny sparkles inside it. And it is very very heavy, any ideas of what kinda rock it is? Thanks

Hi was digging in backyard with backhoe after digging. Was messing around with metal detector . So next day dug deeper and found the rock. It was a combination of detector and backhoe. I started digging for dirt I needed else ware , but then found rock with detector, . Does anybody know what kinda rock it is ? Thanks

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you say magnetic do you mean metal/iron sticks to it?If so then its magantite. If you mean a magnet sticks to it, it could a iron conglomerate. or a meteorite.Does not look like hematite at all.If it crumbles easily its probally not a meteorite.

OP
OP
T

troydogs

Tenderfoot
Jun 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you say magnetic do you mean metal/iron sticks to it?If so then its magantite. If you mean a magnet sticks to it, it could a iron conglomerate. or a meteorite.Does not look like hematite at all.If it crumbles easily its probally not a meteorite.

A magnet sticks to the rock. Everyware but it has to be kinda strong magnet.

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
looks good

It does look like a meteorite to me because a conglomerate /sedimentary rock would show layers. It is a consistent texture which a iron containing terestial rock would not be...I would cut of a small specimen and send to one of the many labs that you can find on the net,one is the smithsonian institute. good luck

Last edited:

Oklahoma Digger

May 14, 2013
Looks like hematite rock.... I don't see any chondrites from the cut. A rock that size would many different sizes of chondrites inside exposing from the cut or the w design from cut. I would check with a geologist at a local university just to be sure.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let Us Know The Result Please.

To just happen to dig that up at 20 feet , tells me your one lucky guy (if a true Meteorite ).

Were / Are there any similar rocks Close By?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread