Possible Micrometeorite?

PabloCocito

Aug 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So my friend told me about micro meteorites and i thought id give it a try, put a magnet on the rain gutter sand, and got a whole bunch of magnetic particles. I know alot of them could be from the roof itself, but this one caught my eye. Its magnetic, and its a clear green color.

I don't have a microscope but I have a high resolution DSLR and a macro lens.

Any ideas?

Click for full resolution or direct link http://i.imgur.com/arm8UfY.jpg
arm8UfY.jpg

Thanks!

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
looks like a olivine crystal,congrats

OP
OP
P

PabloCocito

Aug 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like a olivine crystal,congrats

Hmm interesting, so how rare are these crystals? from the baggie theres several crystals that look like this, not all of them are magnetic, but they range from yellow to this sort of green to even a darker yellow. or could it be glass from like the roof tiles? all of them are pretty tiny..

Thanks!

Upon checking again, they all seem to be magnetic, some more than others. can these have sharp edges? here is a photo of a few of them http://i.imgur.com/72GqlTi.jpg

Part of me wants to belive that they are indeed Olivine crystals, but the realist in me says they're beer bottle glass... but I dont know if that would have any magnetic properties :dontknow:

Pablo

Last edited:

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmm interesting, so how rare are these crystals? from the baggie theres several crystals that look like this, not all of them are magnetic, but they range from yellow to this sort of green to even a darker yellow. or could it be glass from like the roof tiles? all of them are pretty tiny..

Thanks!

Upon checking again, they all seem to be magnetic, some more than others. can these have sharp edges? here is a photo of a few of them http://i.imgur.com/72GqlTi.jpg

Part of me wants to belive that they are indeed Olivine crystals, but the realist in me says they're beer bottle glass... but I dont know if that would have any magnetic properties :dontknow:

Pablo

Beer bottle glass and that crap they put on shingles is not attracted to a magnet,why would you have beer bottle glass on your roof? Parting on the roof,do the right thing, canned beer and dixie cups :occasion14:

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look up Pallasite.

You will see your olivine as an inclusion in your iron meteorite fragment.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very, very good pic resolution, Pablo, but not a micrometeorite. NO mm will be squarish. All are very round or sometimes shaped like a teardrop. Mm's are the DUST that comes off of meteors that enter our atmosphere. They are so small (micro) that they have very little weight. They were liquid when coming off the meteor then they formed a droplet that cooled and solidified way up high where very little gravity could deform the process. Sometimes they hang up there, taking YEARS to fall to earth. They are really quite common and you can probably find many. I have. The best place to look is in the earth directly beneath a rain downspout from the roof of a building. Using a baggie with a magnet in it, move the mag around in the dirt to collect magnetic "stuff". Put that stuff onto a white paper plate. Use a mineral microscope to look through the stuff and before too long you will find some. Use a toothpick to separate the stuff from the suspected mm and then a magnetized needle to collect them. They are pretty common but you need patience to find them. Google-up MICROMETEORITE to see pics and to show you ways to find them. They are small but still a piece of the cosmos, just the same! TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So my friend told me about micro meteorites and i thought id give it a try, put a magnet on the rain gutter sand, and got a whole bunch of magnetic particles. I know alot of them could be from the roof itself, but this one caught my eye. Its magnetic, and its a clear green color.

I don't have a microscope but I have a high resolution DSLR and a macro lens.

Any ideas?

Click for full resolution or direct link http://i.imgur.com/arm8UfY.jpg
View attachment 1038404

Thanks!
Pablo, I looked at your pic again. The area of the mag.... towards the upper right have VERY SMALL things along the shiny edge. THESE may be mm's. Like I said they will be SMALL. TTC

SorenCoins

Apr 5, 2015
Parker, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Go Find 60, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup that's a peridot/olivine crystal, they are slightly magnetic. I believe this variety of peridot is Fayalite.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread