Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The rocks in the bucket could be?
They look too porous to be meteorites.
I don't think they are, you could take them to a university or museum and have someone look at them. Also there are a number of Internet sites that would examine your specimens !
Good luck
HH

OP
OP
J

JMC

Sep 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found with Metal Detector

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No they are NOT meteorites. They look like basalt rocks.

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Terry is right, they don't (look) like meteorites and they DO (look) like basalt. Are they magnetic?

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JMC

Sep 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, all magnetic

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Both basalt AND meteorites can have strong magnetic properties. It may well have some hematite in it if it went through earth's pyroplastic ordeal. It could be be pyroplastic, but it's obviously not sedimentary rock. Meteorites are normally rather dense and heavy compared to metamorphic rocks. Softer than iron materials would have disintegrated upon entry and never would have gotten here in the first place. Earth's minerals melted in a volcano get nowhere near as hot as ones that blast through the atmosphere.

Try this: Scratch it against a hard surface, like hard tile or similar;

Black=(possibly) magnetite
Red=(possibly) hematite
Yellow-brown= (possibly) limonite

Or, take it to your local college and have it ID'd free.

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Meteorites don't have "holes". They are not porous. TTC

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Some do have some craters, but holes? Nope, not exactly.. mineral.jpg meteorite.jpg magnetite.jpg M1 003.JPG ClickHandler.ashx.jpg 640px-Hematite.jpg All these are meteorites, and the small reddish-colored one is hematite, and yours look (somewhat) like it, but none of yours have holes either, just craters, like these. Right now though, I am almost convinced that you have found some "irons" (meteorites).

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lucky, one of your pics is one of JMC's. For comparison, no doubt. Also, did you add the "one inch cube" notation above the cube? Scientific notation would require that cube to be universally accepted as a one cm cube. Just a hiccup on your part... or the picture source should be suspect. Anyway, his DOES look like the iron pictured. Time for the iron/nickle acid test. TTC

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes Terry, that is true about them being the same sample. No, I didn't make the notation, but like most things on the net, most of everything is suspect anyway, including the 6:00 "news." And yes, the tests can easily be done in a lab at any college or university. I am still suspicious about the one small sample though; is it, or is it not a meteorite? My money's on irons now though, mostly because of something I noticed later on, the rocks have a bit of a shimmer or shine to them on the lands but not the pits, indicating hardness which would enable them to be more easily polished - as they seemingly are to some degree.

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tnx for the response. All that aside, if you've been following any of my other posts for meteorites, then you know I have found none myself, except dozens of MICROmeteorites. I have actually found a stony mm among the dirt sifted. I sent a macro pic of the TINY stony to Robert Haag (the original Meteorite Man) who confirmed the rock as extra-terrestrial. Then he sent an autographed book to me as TERI (ouch!) I don't fault him... his wife is a Teri. I'll probably spend a week soon, back in AZ's Gold Basin till I find one large enough to display. That would be nice. Tnx agn. TTC

OP
OP
J

JMC

Sep 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you get olivine (Fukang) meteorites fall in England!?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can find any type of meteorite anywhere on earth. The odds of finding one is the real question. Your odds increase in a known strewnfield in a location that has no vegitation and is dry. In England, you need to get VERY lucky.

OP
OP
J

JMC

Sep 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found 3-4 will post pictures soon :laughing7:

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cheapest metal detector that will find most all meteorites,except stony achondrites is the tesoro compadre and you will need to adjust the ground pot to be a little positive..It the pot in the center when cover is opened up.It then will find stony iron and pallasites as good as my supertraq..This is for anyone that does not have a desert nearby as meteorites are evrywhere not just deserts.

p.s any metal detector will find irons but i've only found one iron out of hundreds of stony iron/pallasites.:blackbeard:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread