meteorite or junk.

therobertsmith

Mar 4, 2015
Gaston County NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was digging in a creek at home in some thick grey/blackish clay and I hit this. I just tossed it to the side and didn't think anything about it. Two days later I went back with the detector and it pinged like crazy off it.
I took it to the house and cleaned it up. Ran the magnet test and it was attracted but weak. Streak test past. Stupidly I smacked it with a hammer and no dice. Last think was I tried to cut a small piece off. Three blades later a few small cuts.
The colors are green, black, orange and silverish speckles all over.
Any ideas? The wife got pissed and threw it in the garage and said her is your space rock dork. I would love to prove her wrong.

Attachments

• 20150219_201853.jpg
    20150219_201853.jpg
    783.8 KB · Views: 143
  • 20150219_175135.jpg
    20150219_175135.jpg
    1,002.8 KB · Views: 135
  • 20150219_175159.jpg
    20150219_175159.jpg
    907.3 KB · Views: 135

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The wife got pissed and threw it in the garage and said her is your space rock dork. I would love to prove her wrong.

This is absolutely hilarious.

Good luck, man!

~Tejaas~

OP
OP
T

therobertsmith

Mar 4, 2015
Gaston County NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She just did it today and I told her I get it in the divorce regardless if we ever got one. If it is not worth anything it will become a nice door stop.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello: Welcome to tnet! It doesn't look like a meteorite but I could be wrong. It may be helpful as to where it was found (state/region). When zooming in on your photo's I see small shiny silver specks. You may want to take it to a reputable jeweler and have it tested for silver, lead, or platinum.

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
She just did it today and I told her I get it in the divorce regardless if we ever got one. If it is not worth anything it will become a nice door stop.

Haha!

Try peeing on it.
Thats as legit as ownership can get!

~Tejaas~

OP
OP
T

therobertsmith

Mar 4, 2015
Gaston County NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate the welcome. The location was the piedmont of NC. It was buried in a creek bed which was about 20 feet down from the bank. I would love to have an analysis done. It shimmers in a very dim lit room. My wife said it was probably radioactive ,)

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Im thinking its Taconite or the like... Looks similiar, has the green and/or pink hues, and is slightly magnetic due to it being a low grade iron ore.

Of course, this depends where you are located!

Sorry about the wait, i wanted to read up on the mafic properties of basalt variations before i took a guess!

EDIT: i now see you added NC as your location.

~Tejaas~

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

therobertsmith

Mar 4, 2015
Gaston County NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a ton of iron ore in the creek and river. The creek ran up to some old gold mines and the river had several ironworks located on it. It is crazy the stuff you can find just walking the banks. I have found a lot of encrusted crystals with other materials melted in them. I would love to really know what this thing contains.

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wife got pissed and threw it in the garage and said her is your space rock dork. I would love to prove her wrong.
===========================================================

HAHAHA,,, your wife and mine have similar tastes in language,,,Mine is always telling me to "go hang out with your dorky friends" I am in the IT field,,
Yea it IS me,,,but geesh gal,,, ya don't have to keep reminding me,,,

LMAO
Hit

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions