New meteorite crater found

Nugget Hog

Jun 25, 2006
Lakeland, Florida
I was searching for an old gold mine in South America on Google Earth and saw what appeared to be a meteorite crater.
What are you opinions on this? I'm not giving the location right now as I'm planning on going there to check it out.

The crater is around 900 feet in diameter and on the edge of a mountain at 12,000 feet altitude.

meteor1.jpg

kfu

Apr 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I´m also new on this and im looking using google earth posible impacts of meteorites in my city but i dont know if im doing it all right, any advice from people in this forums?
I have this next photos: impact.jpg impact2.jpg impact3.jpg

Does they look like impact?
I am in the right way on detecting posible impacts ?
let me know any help would be apreciated

Cactus Pete

Greenie
Apr 21, 2015
Skykomish Valley, WA
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug SE w/two coils
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 w/two coils
Digital Control F5 (locating device for directional drilling)
Drillguide Gyroscopic Steering Tool (inertial guidance for directiona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cinder cone. Location gives it away.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks quite similar to a volcanic crater. Agree with you, CP.

S

stefen

Check out the location in respect to the Pacific Rim Ring of Fire.

You may be looking at volcanic evidence in lieu of meteorite activity.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was searching for an old gold mine in South America on Google Earth and saw what appeared to be a meteorite crater.
What are you opinions on this? I'm not giving the location right now as I'm planning on going there to check it out.

The crater is around 900 feet in diameter and on the edge of a mountain at 12,000 feet altitude.

View attachment 1146206
I'd like to look at the crater. You have better location info... lat/lon for instance? Tnx, TTC

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I´m also new on this and im looking using google earth posible impacts of meteorites in my city but i dont know if im doing it all right, any advice from people in this forums?
I have this next photos: View attachment 1151574 View attachment 1151575 View attachment 1151581

Does they look like impact?
I am in the right way on detecting posible impacts ?
let me know any help would be apreciated

This Could be ,,,,But,,What do I Know.
It kinda has the "LOOK"

Cactus Pete

Greenie
Apr 21, 2015
Skykomish Valley, WA
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug SE w/two coils
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 w/two coils
Digital Control F5 (locating device for directional drilling)
Drillguide Gyroscopic Steering Tool (inertial guidance for directiona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For KFUs photos, I'd really need to take a better look on Google Earth to see the geological context of the formations. To me, in this little fragment of the "big picture" the alleged crater looks more like a geological basin or doubly-dipping syncline. But since there's no real idea of scale or context, it's hard to tell. Offhand though, it doesn't really look like an impact structure to me - more of a structural geology feature.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
..... Or buy the Publication put out by the Brits, The Catalogue of Meteorites, the data base for ALL meteorites, craters, and possible craters. Thousands are listed. I have the 1985 edition that I paid 35 for. The latest edition has added about 10,000 new falls finds and craters. THAT edition is still pricey at over 300. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread