Heavy,sticks to magnet, doesnt rust Meteor?

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one sure looks intriguing to me. It really has the look with what appears in the photo is a black exterior and gray interior, much like many meteorites. I would be curios what color streak it would leave but at the same time I would worry about damaging such a nice piece. It even seems shaped as some meteorites are from the fall. It may be worth getting checked out but it will be interesting to see what others here have to say about this one as I can only offer my non-expert opinion as a collector. Good luck! :)

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be a tektite I have one similar to that which I had tested, by having it sliced on a diamond saw and etched with acid to reveal the interior structure.

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldn't a tektite not stick to a magnet? You can etch a tektite? I thought they were mostly made up of melted sand, I would be rather surprised if one happened to have enough iron content to stick to a magnet. I am not saying you're wrong Bob, it could be the result of my ignorance. :)

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's too bad, I was hoping for you that it was. I would hang on to it if nothing else as a good example of a meteor wrong. Best of luck on your next hunts!

sproatz

Oct 2, 2014
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites spectra v3i with multiple coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one too but not magnetic. Very very heavy and vdi was high like silver but looks like a stone

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Curiosity was killing me with this so, i took it to a geology Professor at the well known University here and after a few hours i got a call saying this was NOT a meteor :( I was disappointed but hey it's the thrill of the chase right? I'll keep chasing the treasure. Thanks for the Input on this guys.

So what was it? A geology professor should have had an opinion, yes?

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldn't a tektite not stick to a magnet? You can etch a tektite? I thought they were mostly made up of melted sand, I would be rather surprised if one happened to have enough iron content to stick to a magnet. I am not saying you're wrong Bob, it could be the result of my ignorance. :)

According to the professor's where I went to college it is a Tektite or at least that is the term they used on it back then. This was back when plate tectonics were just starting to be discussed as a basis of fact, to get an idea how long ago I discovered this thing. We did saw it in half and it did etch. I donated the one half to the University. What further testing they did after that I don't know I got drafted. So I guess it is an anomaly at best. For a better description it looks like a pea sized pine cone on the outside rather then being smooth and glass like. I have since found some moldavite which is defiantly glass like in nature. I would post a picture of my find but it is too small and my canon just does not take good close up shots of the thing, I've tried repeatedly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread