Meteorite or not?

endrust

Aug 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone!
Found this in ground (about 15 cm depth). It is magnetic, and rather heavy (145 grams). The size is 56mm*46mm*20mm. Also, my detector shows that it is non ferrous metal.
What do you think, could be a meteorite?

Thanks!
IMAG0513.jpg IMAG0508.jpg IMAG0511.jpg IMAG0510.jpg IMAG0509.jpg

OP
OP
E

endrust

Aug 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From your measurements I'm getting 145g/51.52cm3 = 2.81 g/cm3. Could you maybe get a better volume measurement using water and a graduated cylinder?
Here is a link to average meteorite densities.dens
ity & specific gravity of meteorites

Thanks for your answer. I've made measurements with water and got 145g/33,5cm3 = 4,33 g/cm3. It means that it could be a stony-iron meteorite. Maybe there is some other way to identify is this a meteorite or not? Because I'm having some uncertainties about meteorite/ore origin of this thing. Thanks!

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
You have a common basalt type lava.

Please buy a copy of "Rocks From Space". It will
make things easier.

4reale

Jul 29, 2008
Jupiter, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 20
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It would also make things easier if you had included the author of the book you're referring to, as there are 27 of them in my library system with that title.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
That would be the book by Richard Norton. It has been mentioned in the Meteorite section of the forum many times. However, since there are 27 by that title in your local library system, I would suggest you read all that may pertain to meteorites. After all, knowledge is power.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Might I just say that "ferrous" and "magnetic" are pretty much the same thing, meaning, if it is magnetic, it has a definite amount of iron. Magnetic=ferrous. Your detector is not lying. They are incapable of lying. It is just "guessing" based on the criteria presented. You may assume that ANY magnetic rock has a certain amount of iron. TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for your answer. I've made measurements with water and got 145g/33,5cm3 = 4,33 g/cm3. It means that it could be a stony-iron meteorite. Maybe there is some other way to identify is this a meteorite or not? Because I'm having some uncertainties about meteorite/ore origin of this thing. Thanks!
As an avid meteorite collector, you need to purchase O Norton's Field Guide to Meteors and Meteorites. On pages 251 and 251 he gives two ways to test for nickel in your rock. Iron/nickel in rocks is so rare that it is the definitive test for meteorites. TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That would be the book by Richard Norton. It has been mentioned in the Meteorite section of the forum many times. However, since there are 27 by that title in your local library system, I would suggest you read all that may pertain to meteorites. After all, knowledge is power.
O Richard Norton. Rocks From Space. Has a fiery rock on the cover. A classic. TTC

OP
OP
E

endrust

Aug 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everybody for advices! Will try to do the nickel test, or maybe find a local laboratory.

ncuke

May 24, 2013
My 2c - I also think it's lava - it looks as if it was the top of a bubble in the lava given the concave and convex surface on each side, and the breakage looks basalt'y' to me. Crack age on the surface also looks like cooling lava from an expanding bubble

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Looks like a lava bomb to me, notice the convex side and the concave side, still, it is a great specimen.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good find Mother Nature is very crafty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread