Earths nickel brought by meteorites

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Earth's nickel brought by meteorites

I watched a VOD last night about meteorites. The pic here is the impact crater at Sudbury, Canada. It produces 30% of the earth's nickel! The video went on to say that it is believed that ALL of the earth's nickel was brought by meteorites. Any comments? TTC
sudbury crater.jpg

GooniePirate

Oct 25, 2010
Clark County Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett ACE 350, Whites 6000DiS3, Jetco Mustang
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry
I ran across this page recently.
Says the planets core is high nickel.

I found the plant connection quite interesting...

"Nickel is essential for healthy plant life. As a result, it is found naturally in most vegetables, fruits and nuts, and in the food products derived from them, for example – chocolate and wine."

Nickel Metal - The Facts

BaconNBeer

Aug 16, 2015
Lodi California
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I find it interesting that earth rock have little nickel iron but the rest of the universe seems to have mostly nickel iron. Has the earth been made differently than the rest of the universe?
I watched a VOD last night about meteorites. The pic here is the impact crater at Sudbury, Canada. It produces 30% of the earth's nickel! The video went on to say that it is believed that ALL of the earth's nickel was brought by meteorites. Any comments? TTC
View attachment 1203624

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find it interesting that earth rock have little nickel iron but the rest of the universe seems to have mostly nickel iron. Has the earth been made differently than the rest of the universe?
Earth has a very active crust. Plate tectonics assures us that every few million years earth will "recycle" the inside AND crust of our planet. In its formative years, earth was molten, allowing the heavier (iron/nickel/gold etc) minerals to "sink" to its core. Volcanism redistributes those heavier things back to the surface. Your "earth made differently than the rest of the universe" statement only reflects the state of our scientific knowledge of the universe. Not much. As we learn how to identify and "decode" more exoplanets, we will find some that are more like earth, having active crusts. I am not a scientist but hope I have answered your question(s). TTC

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know if you are into 'numbers' or not, but at 1:33 ctz you had 4,444 posts! I know that I should have waited until 4:44 pm to send this, but oh well.

Enjoy the Day
Tom

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know if you are into 'numbers' or not, but at 1:33 ctz you had 4,444 posts! I know that I should have waited until 4:44 pm to send this, but oh well.

Enjoy the Day
Tom
Hey Tom! Good to hear from you! The number's thing never occurred to me. Good thing no one brought them up when it was 666! I'd still be under my bed!! Take care my friend. Terry

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The earth is nothing but a collection of meteorites,we are on a big a$$ meteorite :occasion14:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's what's left of the nickel-iron meteorite that made the "Impact Crater" outside Flagstaff, AZ.

e6impactcrater.jpg

Mike

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Earth has a very active crust. Plate tectonics assures us that every few million years earth will "recycle" the inside AND crust of our planet. In its formative years, earth was molten, allowing the heavier (iron/nickel/gold etc) minerals to "sink" to its core. Volcanism redistributes those heavier things back to the surface. Your "earth made differently than the rest of the universe" statement only reflects the state of our scientific knowledge of the universe. Not much. As we learn how to identify and "decode" more exoplanets, we will find some that are more like earth, having active crusts. I am not a scientist but hope I have answered your question(s). TTC

Bingo

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I have a piece of the Meteor Crater, AZ meteorite. My uncle says the original mass is still underground.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread