Detecting meteorites

ghost surf

Dec 11, 2004
About Meteorites..I am rightnow listening to VAN HALEN!!!!!!I love that guitar!!! Eruption !! Next! Running with the Devil!
OK! Back to meteorites!
First a metal detector will pick up any meteorite with what ever amount of nickle or iron it has in it! It Will probably run more on the gold pickup setting side..I just turn my machine on and go I do not play with the instruments, I put it on discrimination and illuminate junk and if something sounds good I put it on all metal and just start digging for whatever ,It has to be a clear crisp sound ,not one that is pieces and parts thats is probaby iron rust/iluminun..Though I look anyway because meteorites could fit any sound all depending..Work your machine so you know the different sounds with test parts like a penny,quarte,dime and a rusty nail and oh yes a sods can or aluminum...A test patch in your yard will help you understand the different sounds.It should however pick up as long as you have a metal detector..Also don't pass anything that rings" HOT Rocks" They could be a meteorites. I am not a professional by any standards it's kind of learning this on your own and even with different machines..The best way look at it is... If it works don't break it!I have a "RED GREEN Show Attitude" What ever does the trick and who needs the grand Oprah violin stuff..Duct Tape works better on stuff to do the job! ;D ::)
Looking in any field that has not been worked on like farm land UN-TOUCHED!? OH OH YES! Running With The DEVIL....... YA!.....clear my throat!! Now!
Deserts are the best places because the rocks do not rust as fast ..Any where it snows and rains like in Wisconsin...As soon as you see a fall go nab it with permission of the land owner!or it will be gone soon...For every 60-90 acres there should be meteorites ..How many? not known but don't get discouraged digging is fun and healthy to..so if someone laughs at you getting your pinkies dirty! Tell them a 100 thousand or milloins( What Ever it is worth..! )It will be a great find and you will be noticed by scientist around the world. It could be waiting and I don't see you getting anything! NOPE!Well just be nice they don't understand science?and extreme devotion to the sky and what it brings to us everyday! Here is an article that you should read so you know what to do and how to do it and see what the Meteorite Man.... Mr. Robert Haag has to say it is so cool!and true!Just read as much as you can about meteorites and look at every photo that on the net about these rocks..There is a defined different about Them but note! Some rocks do look the same...Study..... Study....Study..Go to shows where they have meteorites and look at them, note the look of them and the feel and the marks and colors!I will find that article and post it. Shooting stars.com Metal detecting for meteorites. Meteorite hunters scour the southwest for meteorites is another article with the great meteorite man speaking.
Bring a magnet and a compass they will be magnetic and will deflected with a compass! A good metal detector is any type that would be easy to use, I use a tesoro, just a sound one, no pretty picture of items, just runs on sound and always wear head sets because your batteries last longer.Good Luck!..

OP
OP
K

krdigger

Jan 30, 2005
Thanks for the advice. I have access to a very large farm. I plan on contacting an old professor who I remember was a meteor chaser. thanks again.

ghost surf

Dec 11, 2004
Thanks,Please read this article if it comes up on your computer...A women on this page says... And Quote!{ For every square mile ON THE EARTH....You should be a to find meteorites..}And I confirmed that with the great Meteorite Man: Robert Haag.This is a great article... you should hopefully find something..Say, If you live around Wisconsin ..I would be interested in doing a free search as long as you supply water or a soda....the rock would be your I could get recognition if I would find one. I know I seen one in three different directions come down just within the last 2 years and in my area..Including in fields near our home!They are out there..And everytime a as toriode or comet flies close to our earth, they say they always leave pieces fall to our earth .it's true I have been noting this and it is very true...meteorites or Asteroids sometimes break up in our atmosphere a lot of times and are seen going through the skies with bright tails of small parts...and some break up as soon as they hit the ground too.So if you find one you should always look for other parts of it in the same area.I have fallen in love with these lights from the sky...So far I have not found one ..and I lost the one I did find..Years ago!I had no-knowledge of them other then they were a rock..Who knew?Just think what a meteorite can do for science?And what it could be worth...unbelievable...just so much fun..Yes can get kind of nasty looking for them, but it pay day when you find one...even if it's not worth so much..just think of that thought, you could be in the news on T.V.? or in the paper and in a historical book Etc>>>and Scientist all over the world would be like crawling to possibly meet you..Depending on the type of meteorite you found! Be that dreamer..a Pirate of the stars and don't let anyone stop you!10-4?To me it's like driving in the race car seat..I want to be the one to find that rock and the first one to the finish line to fetch the prize that heaven sent! ;) 8)
Artcle is at.....
Type in these words to your internet search box and press enter..should take you to article.

Meteorite hunters scour the southwest

or if that does not work try this.
http://.hypography.com/article.cfm?id=31923

OP
OP
K

krdigger

Jan 30, 2005
Thanks again. Best of luck in finding one. Should you find one let me know. I know Prof. Ruth would be greatley interested.

ghost surf

Dec 11, 2004
I was driving home and I watched a meteorite land in a neighbors field..I called them up and told them of the fall and have permission to look in their field and hunt around.So as soon as the snow starts melting or it gets a Little warmer I am going out for sure..I have at least a month before they come to replant the field.I am almost sure it landed in the field, otherwise it went into the woods and that would be another permission before I could do that area.The owners live in Milwaukee and hardly come out only for hunting.They are real nice too.

OP
OP
K

krdigger

Jan 30, 2005
Sounds great! Hope you make a big find. Please let us know and post pics if possible should you locate it. Neat enough if you just got to see one. They are amazing to watch. God's own fireworks show.

ghost surf

Dec 11, 2004
I have a Tesoro Sebra 2....I would like to get an updated version of this particular machine...It does all the stuff I preffer.I would like to get one that is more water proof for doing water, up two a foot or so. That would make my hunting just a little better.

scuba000000

Greenie
Oct 4, 2005
hey ghost surf i live in delafield. i own a Excalibur 1000. i would be interested in going out with u looking.

T

tallpaul

some of these meteorites are full of jewel like stones inside,, gotta be worth getting iof come across one, dont recall ever seeing one, but its fresh in my mind now alright,. i know some folks here have big magnets on the end of a stick and just drag it across fields waiting for that pull on something, alot only find small meteorites like golf ball size and tennis ball size.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread