Impacts??

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these today, and don't know what to make of them...

1451528742943.jpg 1451529108742.jpg
1451529122286.jpg 1451529150538.jpg
1451529172556.jpg

Swung my X-Terra 705 with coiltek 15" 18.75kHz in the area and didn't come up with much... Nails, a lead pellet, bottle cap and what I am pretty sure is a steel BB... I was hoping it was a meteorite, but it is exactly the right size and weight for a steel BB

They are in a flat slope of Lyons sandstone (the hardest sandstone in the world I'm told), about 77" apart. Nothing in the top crater, which has a nice bowl shape. The lower one had some dirt/debris and charcoalized wood in it, but no charring on the rock itself. It has some more angular aspects to it, but still largely bowl shaped.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
That's strange. By the stress cracks it almost looks like the force came from below. Maybe studying moon impact craters would tell more.
It's not unusual for meteorites to be completely destroyed on impact.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember a few days ago they lost a Russian rocket and don't know where it went. you might check the hole.......:tongue3:

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well the splatter marks say it was and impact, now was it a Meteorite or a 30/06 180 grain bullet?
I don't think a bullet would have had enough energy or mass to cause the scares in the rock that radiate outward.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AugustMoose87

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the splatter marks say it was and impact, now was it a Meteorite or a 30/06 180 grain bullet?
I don't think a bullet would have had enough energy or mass to cause the scares in the rock that radiate outward.

That was what I was thinking... It would take one heck of a bullet/firearm to do that.

Plus, I am hearing this second hand, but a buddy said one of his buddies was working outside nearby and swore he heard/saw "a meteorite or something" over that direction about 2 years ago. Now that we found it, my buddy and I are going to try and get a hold of that witness and see if we can get any more details.

Last edited:

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW !!!
I LOVE it when stuff like this is discovered.
They surely do appear to be "impacts" of some type.
EXCELLENT discovery,,, I am anxious to hear more if and when anything else is found out about these craters.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
What still puzzles me is the fracture lines. A meteorite impact will create fracture lines below the point of impact and the ring around that point will be more like an uplift. Iridium is rare on earth but often is brought by meteorites. A test for that might tell a story. Don't ask me how to do that test.

OP
OP
AugustMoose87

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sent CU's geology department an email a while back, but have yet to hear anything...

Still working on my potential witness

Rockhunter1620

Feb 1, 2012
S.E. Mi.
Detector(s) used
F-75 S.E.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A 30 caliber or 30-06-180 grain, no. Looks more like damage associated with a 290-360 grain 50 cal. rifle round, maybe??????

OP
OP
AugustMoose87

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be either I suppose, but I have been unable to find any indication of any military engagement or training in the area... I knew they shot fireworks off about 40 yards away, and I just found out they used to quarry the stone, but my mind jumped to impact, not explosion... Maybe a blasting cap or something??

Whiplash00

Jan 21, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The impact angles look similar. Is the sandstone vitrified inside or around the holes? In the one photo, whatever it was appears to have maintained shape for a few layers.

OP
OP
AugustMoose87

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The impact angles look similar. Is the sandstone vitrified inside or around the holes? In the one photo, whatever it was appears to have maintained shape for a few layers.

The similar angles are what make me fairly certain what ever it was, it was a single event. No obvious vitrification, though I may go back and take another look once the snow melts.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Don't discount the possibility of a meteorite just yet. That "steel bb" sounds exactly like what a meteorite should look like. Except it wouldn't be steel, it would be more like stainless steel. Only way to tell is send it off for analysis. The proximity of many impact sites in a small area further supports a "strew field".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread