Could this be a metorite?

Hakan

Tenderfoot
Mar 14, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So i found this metal chunk next to a field in a pile of rocks removed from the field (in Sweden).
It is very magnetic, seems to have fusion crust and for me as a non expert it looks like a Mesosiderite.

I would imagine though that it is some leftover from old iron manufacturing, but you never know :)

So what are your thoughts?

DSCN3140.JPG DSCN3143.JPG

Art_Blade

Jun 25, 2014
Warsaw
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Teknetics Omega 8000
White's VX3, V3i
DeTech SSP-2000PI, Garrett pinponter, Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't want to worry you but looks like sponge iron from bloomery. To be sure, I propouse to do metallographic microstructure on some area (a few cm2). Make a grinding, up to #1200 by sandpaper then nital etching (mixture of 1:10 nitric acid with water or ethanol). Etching take a while (few minutes), then make a picture and show on forum:thumbsup:

OP
OP
H

Hakan

Tenderfoot
Mar 14, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, i will try to get some nitric acid tomorrow.

I don't want to worry you but looks like sponge iron from bloomery. To be sure, I propouse to do metallographic microstructure on some area (a few cm2). Make a grinding, up to #1200 by sandpaper then nital etching (mixture of 1:10 nitric acid with water or ethanol). Etching take a while (few minutes), then make a picture and show on forum:thumbsup:

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would like to see it after it etches as well.

Art_Blade

Jun 25, 2014
Warsaw
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Teknetics Omega 8000
White's VX3, V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, i will try to get some nitric acid tomorrow.

If it isn't meteorite, the solution may be will to strong. Then make 4:100 (acid: distilled water or alkohol) mixture and etch by a few seconds

OP
OP
H

Hakan

Tenderfoot
Mar 14, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems to be very hard to get nitric acid here in Sweden so i ordered some ferric chloride instead, it will take a few days before i get it so ill update when i get it.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is not a meteorite. :skullflag:

Art_Blade

Jun 25, 2014
Warsaw
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Teknetics Omega 8000
White's VX3, V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It seems to be very hard to get nitric acid here in Sweden so i ordered some ferric chloride instead, it will take a few days before i get it so ill update when i get it.

Ask someone who works at school (chemistry lab) and gives you 100ml of acid

OP
OP
H

Hakan

Tenderfoot
Mar 14, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So this seems to be a bust, I tested with a nickel test and got no response and etched with ferric chloride and got these results:

DSCN3146.JPG DSCN3147.JPG

First one is right after etching, second is buffed a bit with 1200 paper. It turned all black by the gunk that came from the hollow parts and i assume real silicate in a mesosiderite wont do that.

Well, better luck next time :)
Thanks for watching.

Art_Blade

Jun 25, 2014
Warsaw
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Teknetics Omega 8000
White's VX3, V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you use dimethylglyoxime as a nickel test or something else?

DSCF5780.JPG

Small piece of Morasko meteorite which fell long time ago (about 5000 years). Good luck

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hakan

Tenderfoot
Mar 14, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it was a test with dimethylglyoxime.

Whiplash00

Jan 21, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you use dimethylglyoxime as a nickel test or something else?

View attachment 1305883

Small piece of Morasko meteorite which fell long time ago (about 5000 years). Good luck

This is very similar to a piece I found with my metal detector. It was 15"+ deep in a fossilized coral bed. Dissolved it in 9.5% hydrochloric acid. It's very hard and non magnetic.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1462812744.074504.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1462812850.191990.jpg

Whiplash00

Jan 21, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's nothing flat about this piece. This was under a fossilized coral bed with shells and Crinoids that were confirmed at a few hundred million years old. This definitely has not been poured

Art_Blade

Jun 25, 2014
Warsaw
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Teknetics Omega 8000
White's VX3, V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's nothing flat about this piece. This was under a fossilized coral bed with shells and Crinoids that were confirmed at a few hundred million years old. This definitely has not been poured

What kind of material you found? Looks like metal.
Iron meteorite should be magnetic, strong as ..... hell. Do you have more info? My was rusty and heavy.

Whiplash00

Jan 21, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted two pictures. The first was when I found it with my metal detector. It's the deepest hit I've had, pulled it out of fossil sea floor on my property. The second photo was after I dissolved the outer crust. It's non magnetic which is really throwing me off. It feels heavy, has some weight for its size. 10 grams

justbrian55

Apr 10, 2016
Top side Illinois
Primary Interest:
Other
non magnetic...I've one I still cannot rule out being something from far away, :-) It didn't feel magnetic with a fairly strong mag, but I suspended the magnet/ waved the stone and the mag reacted to it as a bit of swing.
Hanging the magnet at least cleared some confusion of the metal like sparkles here and there in it, when first did not feel magnetic.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
When looking for Meteorites I use many baits. I check for iron, Nickel, granite, colbalt, magnesium and iridium... If the target has 3 of these minerals I will dig it. That helps keep me from digging iron rocks..Art

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread