How do I?

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Will be making a recovery of a very large meteorite which landed here over 100 years ago. Recovery site is near salt water, so I have to wait for a low tide to make. I'll have to clean overburden. Need to collect a bowling ball sized piece. Any suggestions of how I try doing that? Even if I get several days worth of low tides, hacking the piece I need to ID is problematic. Meteorite is probably a pallasite.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are so sure on what you have and where it is, rent a backhoe.

Art_Blade

Jun 25, 2014
Warsaw
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Teknetics Omega 8000
White's VX3, V3i
DeTech SSP-2000PI, Garrett pinponter, Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I suggest to take corroded piece and make a nickel test or check by XRF. If verification will be positive prepare to exploration like Terry told.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Depends...

You could get a pump and hose and blow off the overburden with water.

You could blow it off in the same way they blow holes from a boat to hunt for treasure if the tide is in.

You could blow out the object with the same gear they use to sink dock pilings.

You can't dig a little today and a little tomorrow and a little the next day. With the tides in and out, it will just keep filling the hole back in.

You have to take one shot at it, and finish it before the tide comes back in.

OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Terry's reply would be good if there was a place to put a backhoe. There isn't.

Art's suggestion to take a piece ... that's what I need to try to get. Stone is much larger, and still in one piece AFAIK.

G.I.B. has some good points. There are actually two places this could be, each separated by a small body of water (1 ft. across?) in marshy conditions. Overburden not really a problem, at least I think (only have GEOSAT photos to work from at this time). Object is too large to move, so doesn't make sense to blow it out. G.I.B.'s last point is well taken. Should I use explosives to blast the bowling ball piece off in the time available?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NO EXPLOSIVES!!!! If the "meteorite" is really that large you can get enough money to chopper the machines you need in!

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chainsaw winch and solid planks to "slide it out"? Chainsaw winch are used for hunting big game, to pull, for example, a moose out of the woods, when you're alone.
You just need something heavy or solid to tie the winch on, your vehicle if not too far, if not a big rock or tree should be good. I think it would work. Excuse my english and keep us informed please :thumbsup:

Last edited:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Why mess around" Listen to Terry. There is equipment out there that is huge and will go into anything to retrieve objects. Some come in from the water side, some from the land. I've seen them in action at Padre Island National Seashore. Yep, lots of drilling on our coast, federal or not. Huge semi's doing 60-70 mph(HUGE tires) going down a beach that stops 4 wheelers. Trust me, the equipment is out there...

OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
No chopper could lift this, Terry. That's why I don't think it can be moved from the site. I don't believe a barge at high tide could carry this out without grounding.

Stone said to be 22 feet across. I think that's more like 22 x 18 feet, probably 7-9 feet deep. But still... easily largest meteorite known to strike the earth.

Last edited:

Art_Blade

Jun 25, 2014
Warsaw
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Teknetics Omega 8000
White's VX3, V3i
DeTech SSP-2000PI, Garrett pinponter, Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Art's suggestion to take a piece ... that's what I need to try to get. Stone is much larger, and still in one piece AFAIK.
I'm talking about checking the stone. Take a small piece of rust, if is more then 1% by weight of nickel that should be a meteorite. Are you 100% sure that is a meteorite?
If we are talking about how to pull out this stone I have suggestion- see photo
morasko261kg.jpg
They were taking 264 kg meteorite.
see on Art & Met - Meteoryty

Last edited:

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Roughly where is this. I am familiar with much of Oregon and might be able to offer some advice based on area knowledge. PM if you do not want location open to all.

OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Southern Oregon coast. A witnessed fall. Impact heard (and felt?) 50 miles away. Day and time of fall known. Also weather conditions. Fell in a blizzard, which is very rare for this area. Dumped 3-10 feet of snow: which is why it remains lost today. Visible by satellite photographs, though.

Art's suggestion is well taken. But hard to work through in a bog.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
The only way you're going to remove something of that size and weight is to trench into it, then use air bags to float it out into a more manageable location.

You're trying to get down 7'-9' in mucky marsh and mud during low tide?!?!? You might have better luck loading a small excavator on a barge and coming in and digging just before tide goes out. Don't worry if the barge gets stranded there - it'll be able to float out a few hours later.

As you haven't yet located the actual piece, you might try going out there in a boat and use a long rod to probe down in the muck. This would be a two-person operation - one to keep the boat in position from wave action. ...This is assuming high tide actually covers a portion of the piece. If not, then you might have to bring in a boat just before the tide goes out and haul in floating panels to build a makeshift work platform. You can buy a product already made (SIP's, or Structural Insulated Panels), or you can make your own using 2 layers of plywood with a sheet of 4" thick polyfoam board sandwiched in between. ...Guess you could try using styrofoam instead, but it tends to break too easily.

OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
The only way you're going to remove something of that size and weight is to trench into it, then use air bags to float it out into a more manageable location.

You're trying to get down 7'-9' in mucky marsh and mud during low tide?!?!? You might have better luck loading a small excavator on a barge and coming in and digging just before tide goes out. Don't worry if the barge gets stranded there - it'll be able to float out a few hours later.

As you haven't yet located the actual piece, you might try going out there in a boat and use a long rod to probe down in the muck. This would be a two-person operation - one to keep the boat in position from wave action. ...This is assuming high tide actually covers a portion of the piece. If not, then you might have to bring in a boat just before the tide goes out and haul in floating panels to build a makeshift work platform. You can buy a product already made (SIP's, or Structural Insulated Panels), or you can make your own using 2 layers of plywood with a sheet of 4" thick polyfoam board sandwiched in between. ...Guess you could try using styrofoam instead, but it tends to break too easily.
You've made some excellent suggestions for total recovery. Thank you!

But for now, really only need a chunk of it for analysis and identification purposes.

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing it landed in a Marsh and didn't penetrate 80'+ deep and make a massive crater.

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It wouldn't matter if it hit an asphalt parking lot it would have keep on going. Your talking a couple hundred tons at high velocity,it also would have exploded like Berringer or any other Meteorite does on impact,or before impact. And if it did not then it would have a massive impact crater. Pics would be cool.

OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
It wouldn't matter if it hit an asphalt parking lot it would have keep on going. Your talking a couple hundred tons at high velocity,it also would have exploded like Berringer or any other Meteorite does on impact,or before impact. And if it did not then it would have a massive impact crater. Pics would be cool.
Interesting supposition. Who knows? Maybe it did explode, but over the ocean.

zdawg3579

Feb 23, 2014
Scottsdale, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to see pictures of the rock!! At least the piece you chip off. Sounds like an epic find!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions