Possible Meteorite!?

vaprospectorhaas

Tenderfoot
May 27, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I was looking through my rocks and found this spacey looking metal object and ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1464641736.300117.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1464641767.364814.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1464641787.923065.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1464641803.890492.jpg

Could it be a meteorite it's magnetic, and just really meteorite looking to me at least I saw some meteorites with similar coloring on sale but how do I see if it's a meteorite and how do I go about seeing how much it's worth but if it's a meteorite it's pretty worth it to say you have a piece from space ! But any help, advice , or if it's even a meteorite I'll try to find the similar looking one on sale online and thanks for viewing !

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll let Terry Soloman chime in as he is knowledgeable.
As far a value, meteorites are a lot like real estate. Location, location,location. If I'm paying for a meteorite I want to know it's history otherwise it's just another meteorite.
Actually to me it looks looks a piece of native iron but I'm no expert just a hunter.

Art_Blade

Jun 25, 2014
Warsaw
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Teknetics Omega 8000
White's VX3, V3i
DeTech SSP-2000PI, Garrett pinponter, Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It doesn't look like meteorite. Should be more rusty and less sharp edges. Fructure is typical for steel or cast

SkySgt

Jan 19, 2014
Cibolo, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX (PI) and Garrett Ace 350 (VLF) detectors.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, looks like a broken piece of cast iron to me. True metallic meteorites will have molten flow areas on the surface. I'm betting the piece you have is from some sort of farm implement. To find out for sure, you'll have to do some extensive homework .... Check city/county offices to see if there are records indicating that the area in which you found the item is part of a known meteorite strewn field. Check with local amateur astronomers to see if they are aware of any recent meteor showers.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Hit this link for information on how to identify it.

Here is a nice flow chart.

Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 2.48.03 PM.png

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bottom line, nobody can tell you if that is a meteorite except an expert with a lab that can analyze it. From the photos it looks like magnetite (terrestrial). There are a lot of bad actors selling "meteorwrongs" on Ebay - Don't be one of them. :skullflag:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions