poss meteorite from sea,help

alan p

Nov 15, 2015
norfolk England
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may have mentioned before, back in Feb of this year I found a wet rock on the beach with rust on it so I cracked it open thinking there would be an old bolt or metal in black crap, I see some black stuff and rusty metal with some bright metal where I hit it,so thinking it was some kind of slag as it had some kind of black/green glass in places I took it to work to have cut on a band saw, cutting into it only got part of the way through and something was stopping it cutting further so cut another angle part through and chipped out a piece, the black stuff was like crystal with slight green tinge and had cut through metal (started to rust two days later) and brown/ginger rock? but the bit that wouldn't cut all way was a very sparkly metal which didn't rust and very small bits of yellow/green melted looking crystal with the sparkly metal, also some brown patches like dark chocolate, so when i looked through a microscope i was amazed to see a very clear and defined widmanstatten structure appear on the dark brown patches, so it still could be slag of some sort but I'm thinking more pallasite of some sort hopefully, anyway my question is, is it possible that the cutting heat caused the pattern to emerge on the brown patch (poss metal enriched mineral).the specimen is in a university museum that specializes in meteorites since Feb and I've been told it won't be looked at till mid June. Thanks for reading and my apologies for being long winded about it. Sorry no pics at mo.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Go back to the university, find the piece, and document it with a photograph! Otherwise it is your word against theirs. This could be a pallasite!!!

OP
OP
alan p

alan p

Nov 15, 2015
norfolk England
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not even sure I post anything before about it and never took any pics but yes I should have took some close snaps, I will hopefully be at the uni museum this coming sat, its a world renowned Sedgwick university museum Cambridge England so all should be ok and I have a signed receipt for it but I get what you're saying, the specimen didn't look very attractive as there was rust in a few places but more like dust than solid rust now I'm wondering what condition it's in now as it had come out of sea, I wil get pic, it only weighed 68grm, I lost two chunks of it so could have weighed approx 100grm, would still like to know if widmanstatten Patten appears on anything else as I've only seen it on metal before and if the cutting heat could have caused it, only 23 meteorites found in Britain so that could push up value if its an e.t

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Widmanstatten diagrams are found only on meteorites, alan p. That's why it's important to document the find by photographic evidence. This will become very important when the meteorite is described and documented.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If it turns out to be meteoritic, the lab in question will certainly photographic it. Since the pattern in question is revealed by acid etching, it would not be created by heat as you describe. Therefore, the pattern would not be a widmanstatten pattern.

OP
OP
alan p

alan p

Nov 15, 2015
norfolk England
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To charl, I know that etching brings out the wid pattern but patterns have been revealed without etching before especially on heavily weathered irons, the patterns I saw was on a dark brown material ( a type of mineral I guess) and not on metal so that is why I asked if anybody knew if patterns can appear on different materials other than iron like maybe a metal based mineral,the patterns I see were very clear and neat and clean lines,some lines were single and some double, the patterns appeared on 4 separate patches of the material that was mixed in the iron, obvious widmanstatten structure and looks good under microscope, some of the metal looked a slight gold colour and small blue patch caused by heat I guess, hopefully I will receive good results, so once again I ask can widmanstatten Pattern appear on minerals other than metal after only cutting, cheers

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll bet you $1,000.00 what you found is not a meteorite - even with no photo!

OP
OP
alan p

alan p

Nov 15, 2015
norfolk England
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thousand dollars,I'll agree to that as long as its a one way bet from you only and no one else involved and I'm sure people from around the world will witness that terry,unlike yourself every rock I find is a meteorite untill proven wrong and I've only been hunting meteorites since last aug-Sept time so I'm pumped up a bit but wise enough not to be foolish to think that I found one untill its confirmed even though I know I have, ha ha, always hoping, gonna put a new post up of rock I found today on beach, lots of good rocks on beaches although meteorites take a bit of a bashing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread