chondrules or not,found today

alan p

Nov 15, 2015
norfolk England
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WP_20160619_17_10_44_Pro.jpg WP_20160619_17_07_58_Pro.jpg WP_20160619_17_10_59_Pro.jpg WP_20160619_17_09_26_Pro.jpg WP_20160619_17_09_26_Pro.jpg WP_20160619_17_05_10_Pro.jpg Went hunting for crabs on the sea/beach and got three yum yum, found several lumps of rusty sand and rock and broke them open to see what's inside but I broke the rock I used to break open the lumps and noticed the rock had lots of green spots and balls inside, cleaned it with fresh water and its come up nice, no crust(been in sea) and not attracted to magnet, the matrix is brown and like a crunchy sugary substance, all the white looking bits are green underneath, hoping its olivine chondrules, any similar earth rocks, any clues anybody, erh terry wot u think.

Art_Blade

Jun 25, 2014
Warsaw
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Teknetics Omega 8000
White's VX3, V3i
DeTech SSP-2000PI, Garrett pinponter, Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Probably you have some kind of porphyry. Check it

OP
OP
alan p

alan p

Nov 15, 2015
norfolk England
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As you can see the green balls turn yellow when exposed to the elements so naturally I thought olivine but really have no clue, cant see where you both get porphyry from unless you can direct me to some images that look like my rock as I cant find anything that look even slightly like it, anyway thanks for the comments.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Only meteorite it might be would be a pallasite, which has enough iron in it to set off a magnet. I see no iron, you have already said it is not magnetic, ergo: non-meteoric.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Probably no harder way to actually successfully find a meteorite by simple random searching. You stand a much better chance by looking within known strewn fields for pieces not found originally. Thus, for instance, people still find meteorites in the Holbrook, Az strewn field, many decades after the fall. I realize you are in England, but the way you're going about things will give you about a snowball's chance in Hades of actually finding a meteorite. Good luck of course, but it may take you several hundred years using such a technique....

OP
OP
alan p

alan p

Nov 15, 2015
norfolk England
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with you that random searching is a bit challenging but that's as much as I can do for now, moving home in approx 6 months and time and finance will be better to take this hunting more serious, anyway I'm having fun and learning to dismiss the rocks I don't need while also finding some strange and cool unanswered rocks and I'm always at the beach, and still waiting on a result, ain't that right terry !.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread